Another Email Problem

Colin Brett

A couple of friends are both having the same problem, they are unable to send emails with attachments.

I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

OS Windows 2000pro SP4 using OE6

OS Windows XPHome with SP2 using OE6

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

We've also had the same problem, but not with all e-mails. It turned out to be that certain ISPs were blocking them for "security reasons". Could this what's happening with your e-mails?

In fact we're having a lot of problems with e-mails at present even without attachments. It seems that the our own ISP (Bulldog) is blocking some of them for abuse! We can't even get a reply from Bulldog (nothing unusual there!) and so we're about to switch from them.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

So what happens Colin? Any error messages?

No messages as far as I know, they just disappear into Cyberspace/land/world etc.

Colin

Emails with no attachments are OK and reach the recipient.

Both friends are sending quite essential documents such as contracts and moniter profiles etc. so it's quite an issue for them.

I would add they seem able to receive attachments OK.

Colin

Colin, could it be the recipients' security settings?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

most likely the recipients security settings, get them to 'zip' all the files before sending and all should be well.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Try changing the mail format to .html instead of .rtf

There are known issues with attachments in .rtf emails.

You'll need to check entries in your contacts as well - right click on the recipients email address and in properties you might find a tick box which says something like "Always send messages in rtf format", in which case untick the box.

......or have a look here:-

XP SP2 and OE6 attachments disappearing

Looks like the answer.

Where's the 'ANY' key?

Colin, could it be the recipients' security settings?

No I don't think so as I am not receiving any attachments from them and I know I can receive attachments.

Colin

Try changing the mail format to .html instead of .rtf

There are known issues with attachments in .rtf emails.

You'll need to check entries in your contacts as well - right click on the recipients email address and in properties you might find a tick box which says something like "Always send messages in rtf format", in which case untick the box.

......or have a look here:-

XP SP2 and OE6 attachments disappearing

Looks like the answer.

Mail format in each case is HTML

The problem is sending Emails with attachments not receiving as Talked about in the link you kindly posted.

Thanks anyway,

Colin

Recipients don't get anything at all if an attachment is sent. No email, no attachment!

The mail is not returned as undeliverable.

The plot thickens!!

Colin