Herring

A Norfolk Boy

Went fishing last night as unfortunately I can't get out this next couple of days when the wind will be up. Few decent whiting and a nice plump dab.

Anyway, got back and found I'd had 60 herring delivered, caught a few hours earlier. 10 are drying off after curing and going in the smoker any minute now, another dozen are salted ready for pickling, the rest gutted and in the freezer for bait. They are a decent size and are 6 for a quid. At that price nobody should complain that good fresh fish is too expensive. Apparently there's plenty out there but they're obviously not fashionable.

Up here in the Western Isles, they take your arm of for Herring :) .... one of my favourite fish on the plate, and of course when smoked (kippered) .....mmmmm getting hungry. Hope you enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!

Had a lot of Thornbacks on Herring as bait this year.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

They freeze/thaw better if guts are removed. Thought you, being a commercial bloke, would have known that!

I know that they fish a lot better with the guts in, you are throwing away all the juicy bits. It might not make so much difference if you are cutting the fillets in to stips but if cutting them in chunks, best bait for rays, then guts in are much better. They do need to be frozen with in hours of being caught, the next day is no good.

I fish to live and live to fish.

They freeze/thaw better if guts are removed. Thought you, being a commercial bloke, would have known that!

I know that they fish a lot better with the guts in, you are throwing away all the juicy bits. It might not make so much difference if you are cutting the fillets in to stips but if cutting them in chunks, best bait for rays, then guts in are much better. They do need to be frozen with in hours of being caught, the next day is no good.

Fair enough, but down here in Sussex whiting is about your lot if you use herring!

all my winter thorn backs in the thames eastuary Taken on herring to the exclusion of all else Top Bait untill Its peeler time.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Herring out fished squid 10 to one for me on the thornies from febuary until may.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!