commercial fishermen

DonnieK

Makes me laugh that the commercials are saying that the fish quotas are putting them out of business.

At least by tough quotas there will be some work left for some of them.

But by catching every living thing in the sea and killing it, you are putting yourself out of business.

End of the day no fish - no living, so there is no choice conservation or everybody loses

simple really

KIR ;0)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Makes me laugh when they say stats are wrong. Where do DEFRA get thier stats from?

From fishermen. If the stats are wrong it's because the log books and quota's records are wrong.

If there are plenty of fish left in the sea how come the boats in my port always fall short of their quota? If there was lots of fish you would think they would catch it quick then run out of quota and have to lay up, or is thier some other logical explanation for the boats always having spare quota?

My boat has a 750 kilos per month quota for cod. How do you think that is currently measured and managed? It may surprise you to find out that defra have no idea whether I've caught 7 or 7500 kios.

Every year 2 million tonnes of perfectly good marketable fish are kicked over the side in the name of CFP conservation. That's where anglers should be aiming their new found voice at.

Guest jay_con

Nothing surprises me mike and as Ive said I have more sympathy for the likes of yourselves than the big trawlers. Surely your annoyed at the trawlers too? Theyre going to take your living away from you as well as thier own.

none of the inshore boys kick any fish over the side here it all gets sold for cash undeclared and you probably do the same dont you mikek, you dont care about quota's they dont even exist do they, well not to the so called inshore fishermen where i live.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Do I feel sorry for fishermen yes do I feel sorry for the industry NO!

The sooner it all goes to the wall the better! I have seen boxes and boxes of angler fish stacked 2 meters high and the fish where so small I could get two on my hand and nothing hung over my fingers. And then I am supposed to believe that it's a stupid quota system that is ruining the stocks. Of course the system is stupid because the boats should not be allowed out of the port! I know of boats that trawl a deep sea fish called the orange ruffy that are caught by trawling nets that flatten deap sea corals that take thousands of years to grow. The fish themselves are recond to need over twenty years before they spawn. And that is just Killybegs. I've seen commercial boats of north Africa finning sharks, and I've seen commercial fishermen netting sea trout and salmon in the Baltic that have been hatched and released by anglers with anglers money. Where ever there are no quotas or severe restrictions then the fisherman run riot. And then it's always the French, or the Scottish, or the Danish depending on the geological position of the harbour bar you're in!! For the individual who lost his job in the industry or the owner who can't service his loans. Of course I feel sorry for them, it's personal tragedy. But really you're trying to pirate a resource that belongs to everybody and you should take what is yours and leave your hands of the rest.

I nearly got into a fight in a bar in Cornwall as a fisherman said that he earned his living off fish so it was okay if the anglers caught nothing as that’s only a hobby. I told him that I am an angling journalist and guide and if there are no fish there are no anglers and that I was also entitled to a job!

You can't feed the world from the oceans and you can't sustain huge investments in boats and industries indefinitely on the backs of a few fish. Get real, get a job or open a shop and leave the bloody fish alone!

The reason I spend so much time in Norway is that there are still fish there and the reason there are still fish there is that there is not as much pressure on the stocks. It’s managed sensibly and the Norwegians don’t treat it as a free for all.

RobL

www.fishingsport.com

RobL

Sport fishing in Norway and around the world

http://www.fishingsport.com

I love this... they go out knowing full well what quota they have left, yet they will still fish away on grounds targeting 1 species knowing full well they are going to catch fish they have no quota for and then blame the CFP for it... DUH!!!

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest jay_con

Should bring back hanging. I would pay money to go along and watch. No point pending the cash on fishing anymore as the commercials STOLE all the fish.

Stavey you are right there are few if any quota for inshore boats. What we catch is so small compared to industrial trawlers. No, I don't kick fish over the side. Trammel and gill nets catch very little undersized fish. What it does catch is usually alive and gets returned. Pout gets sold as pot or whelk bait, dogs sell well skinned.

Robl please don't lump us all together. I'm as much against the destructive types of fishing as you are. If only you could all see through this inherent hatred of any boat with numbers on the side you would learn that we have much in common. I've never been to the North Sea let alone caught a cod from it.

Mike,

Do all inshore boat skippers feel the same????

If so then surely people like yourselfs would be able to help us anglers to stop the more destructive and unsustainable fishing methods

:cool:

KIR ;0)