Is Sea Angling 'working Class'

Stoaty

It was mentioned on another thread that the number of dinghy anglers was down and this might be due to money being tight for a lot of people. It occured to me (white van man) that most of us are working class people, that's in the modern sense of 'working class' and when money is tight we suffer first. Am I in cloud cuckoo land or is our sport full of the rich and gentry? Or is sea angling in general just for the poor man?

Edited by Stoaty

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always thought class was more a state of mind than an up bringing? But nothing gets my back up more than people wearing 'working class' as a badge of honour, like a reverse snobbery. Fishing has (and shouldn't have) anything to do with class.

jrt

Edited by JRT

Ok I'll try and rephrase it. Is sea angling the sport of the less well off?

I think that the Drew report has something to say about that.

http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/reports...ing/default.asp

If I remember correctly as Saltwater Fly-fishing is becoming more popular, and boat ownership by anglers, the profile of the sport is beginning to move upmarket.

Well that was until the kayakers arrived ;)

Tight Lines - leon

ps Probably no bad thing, yachties and golfers know how to organise themselves politically, and get results

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

It depends if you wanna catch anything decent stoaty? if you can afford to jet off around the world then catching something decent is possible no dought, and if you can get paid for doing just that (like them poncing) tv angling celebs then yeh i would say it is for the better off, but if you stay put and cant afford to travel and fish here in the uk instead you wont catch jack sh*t of any size, might not cost much but then there is no sport in nothing....

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

is Paul Young,Rex Hunt,Matt Hayes,Jack Charlton etc,etc less well off...........................I should coco.................wish I was a few grand behind these celebrities ...............

I think you should definately re-frase that question yet again m8.......................or better still .......................put ones brain into gear before you think of these silly questions.

36_1_50.gif

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

"Ok I'll try and rephrase it. Is sea angling the sport of the less well off?"

In much earlier days I would say it was. After all it was (and still is) essentially free, and a way of supplimenting the larder. Tackle was a lot more primitive, but there were more fish. Game fishing for the likes of Salmon and trout was mostly only accessible to those who had money.

The definition of what is 'working class' is a lot more fuzzy than it once was. I imagine that most of us who enjoy sea angling (with the exception those who are unemployed or cannot work due to health reasons etc.), work in a great variety of types of jobs and consider ourselves to work hard for our money. Is this being working class ?The big difference between now and 100 or 50 or 30 years ago is the amount of disposable income available to 'working people' - be it immediate or defferred (credit). Just think what spending £150 pounds on a reel or £250 on a rod would seem like to many of our great grandparents or further back.

As JRT said, I think the traditional idea of 'working class' is more a state of mind.

Edited by RichardB
DON'T PANIC

Paul Young,Rex Hunt,Matt Hayes,Jack Charlton etc,etc less well off

Yes but arn't these the minority. I don't see many princess's or bayliners with rods hanging out the back.

I think that maybe saying working class was wrong. Less well off is better for what I was getting at.

People do spend a couple of hundred quid on a rod and reel. Then moan about the price of worms.

I think it always has been for the poor. Originaly to feed the family, that's why we have an ancient right to fish.

It's a shame we don't have polls on here we could do one on income.

Stoaty - when you open a new topic, there should be a 'manage poll' line just under the title lines and above the place where you put the body text. I just checked and as far as I can tell, all members should be able to post a poll.

an_polls.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President