Abu Morrum Sx1601c Forell

Vidar6

In addition to my fishing I find immense pleasure in collecting and tuning high-end reels from Shimano, Daiwa and Abu :):)

Have a look at a ZPI super tuned Abu Morrum SX1601C Ultra-Mag Forell

http://uk.geocities.com/vidar_thomassen/morrumreel.html

It's fitted with:

Daiwa cork knobs supported with 4 ball bearings

Bearing supported level wind

ZPI 85mm Carbon handle

ZPI RC-416-RS Ultra light magnesium spool & SIC ceramic bearings

I'm also about to install a ZPI low down thumb-bar kit as soon as it arrives from Japan, which should further increase user comfort.

The improvement (casting efficiency with light lures & overall smoothness) from the standard Abu Morrum Forell reel is simply massive :wub::wub:

The amazing thing is that the reel weighs in at less than 200 grams or 7.1oz :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can achieve unbelievable casting distances with this reel, even with baits weighing as little as 5 grams (3/16oz) or less :o:o

Vidar

Stop, Stop, you've got me drooling

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You ultra-tart! I think you've out tarted Gerry with his jap cuardos and made my collection look very pedestrian. Even Dave Lumb's tarted up 5501 looks a bit plain by comparison. B)

I've got a 3601 Morrum with fibre brake block which I enjoy using for light lures. Seems to throw down to about 1/8 without too many dramas. Putting mono on instead of braid would help the casting even more though.

Tim

Even Dave Lumb's tarted up 5501 looks a bit plain by comparison.

Spraying your reel 'amish black' hardly qualifies as 'tarted up' B)

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

You ultra-tart! I think you've out tarted Gerry with his jap cuardos and made my collection look very pedestrian. Even Dave Lumb's tarted up 5501 looks a bit plain by comparison. B)

I've got a 3601 Morrum with fibre brake block which I enjoy using for light lures. Seems to throw down to about 1/8 without too many dramas. Putting mono on instead of braid would help the casting even more though.

The Morrums are perfectly suited for some careful tuning and the performance improvement you can achieve are nothing short of amazing.

The stock Morrums are good long casting reels but far from as smooth as some of the Shimano & Daiwa reels and the best treatment you can give them is to change the handle and knobs to some bearing supported version (ZPI & Bassart are good) in addition to upgrading the level wind with bearings. The Morrum Forell original handle with the round wooden knobs is an awful piece of equipment, which gives you the feeling of using a worn out coffee grinder. :D:D

I'm just waiting for a additional few bits and bobs arriving from Japan and then I'll post a few pictures of some other rather special reels :):)