Good News Or Bad News

MALC2

Guest Brumagem Phil
. I'd imagine though, that a lot of Barbel caught on the Test, will go the same way as they do on the Wye. That is, straight into the nearest hedge.

If the b*stards keep that up, I'll personally request John West come and built a plant in abergavenny!!!

There's no doubt that if Barbel become common in the Test, they will get big feeding on Salmon spawn.

Gloomy though it may seem (for Salmon anglers), the Wye has had Barbel for years, but is still a great Salmon river. I'd imagine though, that a lot of Barbel caught on the Test, will go the same way as they do on the Wye. That is, straight into the nearest hedge.

One of the biggest egg eaters is the salmon "cannibals yes and Trout" so why blame the barbs for every little bit of distruction that is caused sorry totally out of order.

atb

malc

atb

malc

Guest Brumagem Phil

Of course its out of order malc, but yer average salmon fisherman has more money than brain cells, drives a desk for a living and a car which normally has its own ozone hole following it, so you'd hardly expect them to worry about the life of a barbel would you?

Phil (who thinks he might just invest in a tin hat!!! LOL)

I thought that the salmon anglers main complaint about barbel was that they "pushed" the salmon off their traditional lies?

There is no way a barbel will push a salmon off its natural lie unless its massssiveee. :)

atb

malc

atb

malc

Of course its out of order malc, but yer average salmon fisherman has more money than brain cells, drives a desk for a living and a car which normally has its own ozone hole following it, so you'd hardly expect them to worry about the life of a barbel would you?

Phil (who thinks he might just invest in a tin hat!!! LOL)

Definately not your average Salmon angler up my way Phil, no more than your usual amount of nutters in amongst them & some really skilful fishing done.

I've seen some pretty extreme single species coarse anglers out there as well, but thankfully they've become quite rare over the last 4-5 years.

Not much need for the tin hat now was there :D:D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I was only teasing peter...nowt like a bit of stereotyping to spice things up is there ;-)

Funnily enough, talking of stereotyping, up at earlswood, the matchmen are always asking how many pike i've caught.........I always tell em none even if i've had loads for fear of those ending up in a hedge!!

There is no way a barbel will push a salmon off its natural lie unless its massssiveee. :)

atb

malc

Never heard of that strange thing that barbel do?

I think its called "shoaling" or somat like that.................

:rolleyes:

Not saying that this is the case just trying to point out what most of the salmon fishers I know have against barbell.Not had one blame them for egg eating though!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was only teasing peter...nowt like a bit of stereotyping to spice things up is there ;-)

Funnily enough, talking of stereotyping, up at earlswood, the matchmen are always asking how many pike i've caught.........I always tell em none even if i've had loads for fear of those ending up in a hedge!!

Hi Phil,

I live about a mile from Earlswood and have seem "matchmen" do what you have described b****y discusting if you ask me.

atb

malc

atb

malc

Luckily, as can be seen on the Wye, Salmon anglers (and riparian owners) are a lot more sensible these days. But it certainly used to happen regularly.

Ghillies and game keepers recognise the inportance of other species in their rivers, but I'm still sure there are a few plonkers out there who insist on removing all supposed "alien" species from their stretch of river.

At Timsbury, the riparian owners certainly do well on opening up for general fishing.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org