Mirage Drive

doshkadog

Has any one tried one of these drive systems?

Are they any good?

Cant they be fitted to other Kayaks not originally fitted with them? :unsure:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html

Edited by doshkadog

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

just all looks so brakeble to me! dont dont wont to be left with a yak that has a usless lump of plastic on the hull!

like to see a few that ar in yous arfter a year! then i might be up for one! just seems a bit shopping channel!

imagine all the hassle of getting repairs and parts for it!

but then im a sinicle mofo dont even like the idea of a rudder!

As far as I'm aware the mirage drive fits into a slot in the hull of Hobie's kayaks, bit like a dagger board slot on a dingy.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi,

I've had a Hobie Outback with a Mirage drive for a few months now. I've been out quite a few times.

The drive is really efficient and the Hobie has the added benefit of a paddle for riding through the surf. The blades on the drive unit have a rubber edge that makes them flex through the water (but also reduces the risk of damage).

I believe they will do 8 Knotts, although I haven't tried it with a GPS yet - also at 14.5 stone I suspect I'm less efficient than most!!

Great piece of Kit, ideal for hands free fishing. It's about 56lb, so I can put it on the car myself.

I'm really looking forward to using it more and more in the Spring.

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Hi Bill,

I hope you are feeling better.

Yes - you can fully remove the drive unit (on the beach) and fit a 'plug' which allows you to use it as a normal Kayak. Or you simply push each peddle of the Mirage apart and this repositions the fins so they are flush with the hull.

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

• 3 weeks later...

UM, I am not saying too much about the Hobie test in BFM. I was asked to drive all the way to Salcolmb to the very same piece - 580 mile round trip. Then I find out it had already been done but the guys didn't tell me! They thought they could hget two features by playing one against the other. Result? I am out of pocket to the tune of the trip, 2 days writing it up and made to look a fool.

You should also see the size of the bass the Hobie Kayak seller is KILLING - some at 10" and I have the pictures. Still unsure what to do, but i can't afford to fund 3 days and nearly 600 miles for nothing.

Regards the Hobie? The drive is very innovative, the kayak is a big plastic bathtub. The flippers work very well. The hull could be better.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

More like an Advertorial than an article, sadly the writer didn't even get his feet wet, thought it was a very disappointing article from BFM.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com