Mirage Drive

doshkadog

More like an Advertorial than an article, sadly the writer didn't even get his feet wet, thought it was a very disappointing article from BFM.

SM :)

me too and I also thought they looked like bathtubs :lol:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Maybe i'm just a romantic at heart but Kayaks are paddled not pedaled, thats for pedalos. Not knocking the Hobie specifically just the concept. Its not for me. I know people highly rate it but.....give me a paddle. :)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Here we go....

You guys sound almost supprised that BFM has gone forward with this so called write up.

Revenue from advertising, thats the secret.

There is soooo much I would like to say about this, but will hold my tounge, dont want people to think Im spitting my dummy again.

Simon Everett has been covering the write ups on kayaks.

He has now got a good understanding of the sit on top kayak, and should continue with the job.

Sounds like they have chit in your nest too Simon?

Gonna stop now. :angry:

YY

Bill,

it isn't BFM - they didn't know I was going until they had the other piece in. The guys at Hobie knew though - they just thought they could get more editorial by keeping quite. They don't advertise (yet) and having met the man (he is also a market trader for a living) I doubt they will. He is just jumping on the bandwagon at the start and i expect that in 2 years time he will be doing somethign else.

I have no gripe with Jim for publishing it. I just wish I had known it was going in beforehand. I have had a moan at him about it and I think he will run a story on our days fishing to help me out. I have to say, the drive is very good - if a bit pedalo, but it certainly works very well.

Like someone above said, it isn't a kayak though. It is a kayak type hull with a mechanical drive. Useful as a fishing machine, but gives a different feel to a kayak. For waht it is it is very good. If you fancy one anyone don't let the above put you off - this thing will get you out there, let you fish dry and get you back again - using your leg muscles.

For me kayak fishing is an entire experience, not just kayaking, not just fishing, but an entire gamut of emotions, feelings and tactile experience all at the same time. Therein lies the difference.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hiya Si.

Sorry mate, but I cant see BFM doing anything for nowt.

I would have thought that after all your hard work writing up on the Yaks, that BFM would have had the proffessional curtesy of asking you your oppinion, before printing the Hobie stuff.

If only to verify its content.

As far as choice of Kayak goes, the Hobie may not suit a lot of us, but to others, it may be the one.

If Hobie could stick that drive into a more friendly usable hull, they would do well.

......a whole gamut of emotions, and tactile feelings......you old romantic you :P:D

YY :)

Yakity,

I did a little homework a while ago and sat down with pen and paper American Price lists and UK price lists, with the majority of models we are very similarly priced, even the Hobie's when you take in to consideration the trolley and other bits they chuck in, mind you they are still slightly higher, the only one that was considerably more expensive was the Malibu, the reason for that is that the Australian importer has got the rights to the UK as well making them more expensive to import.

Got to say I was suprised by my findings.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

You can get a Dorado for the price of a Hobie. It will outgun the hobie 10 fold. Try taking the peddlo through 20 foot seas! The Dorado will do it with ease - I've done it.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo