Hooray!

Rusty

Stubborn persistence paid off eventually. I’ve not had so much as a bite in the last five times I’ve fished this spot, two of those were Saturday and Sunday just gone.

One last attempt today before I simply accepted that my trotting technique wasn’t up to it. The swim is quite tricky to fish, it’s a narrow section of river with a line of overhanging trees on the far bank, even mending the line with a long rod doesn’t prevent the faster near bank current grabbing the line and dragging the float away from the trees. It’s even more difficult if the wind is in your face.

But at some point today I got it right and after a couple of hours constantly feeding the swim this 4lb 12oz chub gave up his cover for just long enough to scoff my double red maggot and [importantly] my size 14 hook. Biggest chub of the season and the most rewarding by far;

DSCN1147_zps388cca1c.jpg

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well done mate at least the rodn reel didn`t have to go swimming after you saved the blank,well deserved as were the perch.

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Success at last! ;) You planning any more visits there before Friday (coz I am!)

C.

Nope, I've found the fish now so that'll do for me until next season. I would, however, be interested to see how you fish it so let me know when you're going and I'll bring along tea making facilities. I tried to fish the slower far bank current along the tree line but it was difficult and when the float ended up in the faster flow expectations of a bite plummeted.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back