Shock Leaders

lidoman

Den's knot was similar to the illustrated knot, but the shock leader had a double overhand knot in it, and the finer running line was threaded through this knot, the end passing over the centre, and out of the other end of what looked like a figure-of-eight. The knot in the thin running line was then formed, and the end was then threaded back the way it came, the knot was then carefully snugged - up. Needs practice, but when done properly the two ends are parallel to the main line, and the tapered knot looks like an elongated carrot. Den showed me this knot back in around 1973, when I used to work in central London and could see him after work for a good chinwag, thats a third of a century ago. Frightening!!!

philthefish

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh missed a bit....shockleader material can hardly be classed as an irrelevant piece of tackle if the situation requires you to spod/ put bait out beyond catapult range, can it?

Sorry I didnt put that very well.The use of a shock leader (when required) is certainly not irrelevant.Its use is of the utmost importance for safety,both the fish's and other peoples. It was more the choice of material I was refering to.As said as long as its breaking strain is sufficient ie 10lb per ozs then that is all I would worry about.

Obviously if your shock leader is to double up as a snag leader then that is a different matter and consideration must then be given to its abbraision resistance etc.

A lot of people just dont realise the dangers a snaped off (during the cast) lead present.In the days I used to take part in casting tournements I saw many snap offs (some even with shock leaders) the distances and speeds that an unconected lead fly at are frightening. I once saw a 150gm lead,still trailing its bright yellow Stren shock leader hit a tree over 300m away and stick in! I kid you not everyone was amazed. Would make short work of some ones head or body me thinks.

Shock leaders were really essential in the early days of long range carp fishing as the standard main line (due to its low diameter allowing for long casts) was 6lb coupled to a 20lb leader and 2ozs lead. The adoption of 15lb line as the standard main line put paid to their popularity for a few years but with the increase in lead size used and more powerfull fast taper rods their use has never been more important.

I mentioned it on another similar thread but the tournement casting guys experimented with braided material (Dacron)shock leaders many years ago but it was never really taken up.Some found the lack of strech usefull when "setting up" a Pendulum cast whilst others found the exact same property a problem!

Just for the record if I am doubling up the shock leader as a snag leader I too use Quicksilver.It isnt that different in resisting abrassion to 50lb mono but just a bit thinner,softer and more pleasant to use.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

50lb sea fishing mono it is then for shockleaders Budgie!!!!! As I'm only using them for spodding....incidentally I have done a bit of spodding to about 50yards without any shockleaders....and luckily had no problems....and I'm talking a big fox spod not a stubby one.....a bit naughty I know but we didn't have any leader material. The spodding did the job though resulting in me catching a PB 41lb 8oz mirror!!!! B);)