Shock Leaders

lidoman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think thats the Mahin but cant remember what its called.

I use that one for sea fishing leaders.

There is another one like the one in the picture called the curly bob which had a double overhand knot not a single one.

I read an article on some site which credited the Mahin to Frank Warwick.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Den these carpers think they invented every thing!

Yes I remember you advocating it for sea fishing back when shock leaders were first being used.40 years! doesnt time fly?

Origonal question,why dont you just use mono for your shock leader for spodding it aint (please excuse the pun!) ROCKET science is it! Just remember the simple formula of using a line of 10lbs BS for every ounce you want to cast.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Den these carpers think they invented every thing!

Yes I remember you advocating it for sea fishing back when shock leaders were first being used.40 years! doesnt time fly?

Origonal question,why dont you just use mono for your shock leader for spodding it aint (please excuse the pun!) ROCKET science is it! Just remember the simple formula of using a line of 10lbs BS for every ounce you want to cast.

the idea of a forum mate is it discuss and draw from others experiences....if your gonna get clever then at least say something that is remotely intelligent. We all know that you can use mono for leaders but what the best brands are due to diameter, smoothness etc is something that can only be discovered from experience....obviously something I do not have in this aspect of carp fishing otherwise I wouldn't have asked for advice. :angry:

Lidoman,Im sorry if you thought I was belittling your question.Maybe if you knew me better you would know I never do that.

My comments were a light hearted one to Den re the knot he "invented" for sea angling some time ago and its apparent "hi jacking".No dig at you or carp anglers (I am one along with many other things by the way!).

However my comments re "not rocket science" were my true veiw on this subject and aimed at the current trend in carping to over complicate things rather than your question. IMHO a mono or what ever material you choose for a shock leader for spodding needs no other qualities than simpley being able to take the strain/shock of casting a heavy weight.If you take a look at Rudd's thread re braided shoock leaders you will see my veiws repeated there.As for brands it really doesnt matter as once you get to 50lbs or so even crap lines are quite sufficient.

You say you want information and help on a subject you are new to.Well the best advice I can offer is exactly what Ive said! dont get to bogged down by what is after all such a simple thing.Spend your time worrying about watercraft/location/presentation and also spend your money on stuff you really need not an expensive and totally irrelevant piece of tackle like shock leader material.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for the advice budgie I may as well just use some 50lb seafishing shock leader material I bought this year whilst on holiday...if you reckon its upto the task...as I never shell out my hard earned cash unless absolutely necessary....oh by the way the leader material is shakespeare so it shouldn't be too bad...it did me proud for a bit of beach fishing whilst on holiday :)

Oh missed a bit....shockleader material can hardly be classed as an irrelevant piece of tackle if the situation requires you to spod/ put bait out beyond catapult range, can it? Although I do agree that carp fishing is a location and presentation issue in the main...as you have to find em to catch em.....but on the other hand a well thought out ambush can also be an effective method, you know what I mean the sit and wait tactics. However as with many things in fishing there are many variables involved..as you will definitely never catch em unless they visit the areas that you fish. ;)