new data on human smelling

Phone

The original factoid is interesting but possibly not (at least immediately) particularly useful. I think the number of smells people & dogs can identify and at what concentrations would be much more useful.

Slightly off the original topic but related is this one-page article with some canine/human comparisons. Understanding a dogs sense of smell

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I cannot smell anything underwater, last time I tried I almost drowned so find this thread irrelevant to coarse fishing unless however we consider the amount of bait additives/glugs/oils etc on the shelves designed to catch anglers not fish.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

Indeed, you have it backwards. Carp don't buy angling equipment. Still, don't you find it interesting in this day of trillion $$ budgets we now know we can distinguish between various feces.

Phone

RUDD,

Indeed, you have it backwards. Carp don't buy angling equipment. Still, don't you find it interesting in this day of trillion $$ budgets we now know we can distinguish between various feces.

Phone

Always could, they are known as political parties although they smell as bad as each other!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the difference between consciously detecting an aroma (old forgotten nappies come to mind here) and the less than conscious detecting of aroma.(it was only afterwards that you recognised the cheese in the pizza was mozzerella). It kind of goes in line with the mystery of why everyone else's bacon on a campsite smells better than yours.

"Muddlin' along"