Fairly Techinical Spod / Marker, Braid, Set Up Questions?

RUDD

I have been send to test out some Sinking 20lb marker braid, some floating 20lb spod braid and some floating 40lb shock leader braid.

All are made by Wychwood.

I know most people use sinking marker braid for better feeling due no stretch factor.

Never heard of anglers using spod braid / braid for spodding, only mono in 10-12lb with a 40lb shock leader. I take it the shock braid is intended for this purpose but again have never heard of a braided leader.

Now some questions :

Would I need to use the shock braid with the marker set up or is the 20lb braid sufficent with a 3-3.5oz lead?

If I did use it wouldn't the marker float get caught on the leader knot?

Whats the best set up for a marker float? I have seen anglers using short stiff lengths of heavy mono between lead and swivel with a cork between swivel and float or using some metal gadget that must do the same thing whatever it is??????????

Does anyone use braid for spodding and is it a good idea to?

I have also been sent a leather finger guard and I can see why when using heavy weight and braid (suffered enough cuts on the beach with mono and fixed spools).

I have been told to use heavy pole elastic on the clip when clipping up as a buffer zone to stop bounce back or whatever you want to call it when your braid hits the clip that will help acheive accurate casting, I get the idea but how do you do it?

What knot is best to join two braids?

I will be using Daiwa Emcast 5500's which are quite big and hold alot of line.

As braid has a very low diameter what backing do you use and what knot to join it? I was thinking of spooling the braid onto a spare spool, attaching a cheap mono in approx 10lb breaking strain (dont want a big bulky knot under the spooled braid once reversed) and filling up spool to approx 4mm below lip of spool.

Then I will run the end of the mono through a rod in reverse and attach to the main spool and reel tightly on to spool until I reach the braid.

I have been told the braid then needs to be wound on as tight as possible. Is this the case or will it bed into itself? I have also been told to leave approx 4mm gap between braid and spool lip to prevent wind knots - is this right?

Once that is done I will then put on any shock braid as the leader - how much do you use?

For sea fishing I use approx two rod lengths of 50 or 60lb mono as I am using leads up to 8oz!!!!!!

There you go alot of questions that I could really do with having answers to as I want to get the set up right first time so I dont break something or make myself look a plonker when I first use the set ups.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd,

Can’t help with the braid questions specifically as I don’t use the stuff - I have tried but just can’t get on with it. Much prefer mono, just personal I guess.

However, for the marker set up it sounds like you are describing a basic feature finding set up, the length of thick mono with a bit of cork stops the whole thing getting stuck in weed. More here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/julian15.htm

Not quite sure about the pole elastic to stop bounceback – can only think they mean to wedge under the clip itself to just take a bit of the pressure off the clip, though to get round this I usually clip up by putting line through clip, then round spool again, then under clip again, etc. Usually do this about three times to try and stop all the force being taken up by the first clip point. Not sure about the effect on bounceback as I thought the whole point of using braid would be that there is no stretch? I usually clip up slightly short of the actually spot with mono and do a few test casts with a spod full of water then just feather the cast.

Hope this helps…

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Rudd, don't want to upset you mate, but why would someone send you some gear to test when you don't seem to have a clue how to use the stuff?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Rudd,just a quick reply to some of your questions-

you are spot on about backing the braid out with mono.Definately no need to waste money by trying to fill up a big pit type reel with braid!

I find a Double Grinner knot fine for joining two lengths of braid.Same for tying on a leader.

On the subject of braid for shock leaders,it was tried (with Dacron) many years ago by the Tournement casting guys. It met with a mixed reception and never really became established.

As for length of shock leader,well youve answered it yourself really with your worry about the leader/main line knot stopping the float. I dont bother with a shock leader for marker float/depth/ feature finding.Just dont ever really cast that hard when doing either of these things.

For spodding I do the same as for beach/any long distance casting ie four turns around the reel spool and the length of the rod plus the drop.The only advantage braid gives you IMO when spodding is that you can really drop the diameter to aid distance.

I think people get a bit too carried away with marker floats/spodding tackle.I manage fine with my old beachcaster and cheapo fixed spool (DF90) for spodding and any suitable spare carp/pike rod does for marking/leading/feature/depth finding. As for "special" lines for each,well I ask you!

Dont have a clue about the elastic and clipping up bit as I never do it!

Basic tips (although they might seem obvious a lot cock up here) always make sure with a marker/depth/feature finding set up that the lead is heavy enough for you to be able to wind the float down tight without moving it. Make sure what ever set up you use that the float/line cant get trapped by weed etc.Lots of different versions around.

Hope thats of some help Rudd.Any more detail about something just ask and I will try to explain.Cant post no diagrams at the moment though.

Rudd, don't want to upset you mate, but why would someone send you some gear to test when you don't seem to have a clue how to use the stuff?

Den

Den this is no doubt why the Gardner Rollerball wouldnt roll a boilly and the Nash Boilly Gun wouldnt fire a boilly!

I once remember bumping into a well known local sea angling writer in Romney Tackle.He was photographing a new butt reducer.The design of the product in question was flawed and when I tried pointing it out to him he didnt seem to understand what both myself and the tackle dealer were trying to tell him.I asked him if he used a reducer,he answered no! Great "tackle reveiw" in the next months Sea Angler!

Same guy also rang me up to ask for some samples of the rigs I used to market,with out even seeing them he told me he would give them a good write up! but I digress.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Den

Can see where your coming from and no offence taken.

Basically the braids are a freebee but I have to give some feed back. (nothing in life is free).

I never asked to be sent the stuff but could not turn it down as I was already going to buy marker braid.

Would have been quite happy using mono on the spod set up.

I suppose it will make a change for a company to receive an honest report from a neutral rather that one written be an angler fishing off the sponsership.

I will admit the only mainline braid I have used is on match feeder gear in 8lb breaking strain.

I do have a clue how to use the stuff and set it up but thought I better just check if more experianced carpers such as yourselves thought I was setting up the gear correctly in a safe manner.

I have been spodding using a beachcaster, 12lb mono and a 60lb sea leader.

I have used a mates marker set up but did not take much notice of the set up with regards to braid / spool lip clearance, a big pit reel is a different ball game to a match reel.

I have just shelled out for a marker rod, spod rod and two reels as I see them as an investment that should help improve my carping, the marker set up will help with all the types of angling I do as I build up an even bigger picture of the venue's bottoms that I fish regardless of species.

I cant afford to pay for any replacements if a break any of them so thought I would get set up right first time.

P.S - how many posters or infact anglers in general would turn down a free bit of kit in return for their honest opinion?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

HI RUDD

The reson heavy pole elastic is used with braid is to stop damage to the reel, i e the line clip wont be ripped off if the cast is not feathered down properly. the elastic is tied on before you spool ya reel and then put under ya clip, spool the reel and go fishing, when casting take elastic from cilp and pass it over/around braid and back under clip. this wiil stop damage and possible crack offs when casting heavy weights.

hope this is of use cos im not trying to teach ya to suck eggs.

Fat Boy