Scottish Marine Parks

Ian Burrett

I attended a seminar for the new proposed Scottish National marine parks today. As Leon has stated to me previously, you learn more in the dinner break when guys of similar interests sound each other out and swap cards etc.

I found the proposals slightly disappointing, as it looks like the proposed park will be more of a theme park than a marine park with Marine protected areas etc. The word conservation wasn’t even mentioned. Well not till I put my penny’s worth in.

After the first talk we were sat down in different groups and I was put with the heavy boys from the commercial sectors. After being ignored and over spoken repetitively I finally got to say my bit, when one of the commercials sneered nastily at me and said my RSA approach was childish and he would book me into kindergarten. I told him that being childish would be taking him outside and giving him a slap. He settled down after that.

After the second talk I was placed with individuals from the Galloway region and it was encouraging to hear organizations like the Solway Heritage planning stakeholder meetings for next year with one of the main remits being to develop RSA. and place tighter controls on commercial activity; they want to preserve the local commercials fishing rights and stop outsiders in super crabbers etc. coming and raping the area.

Ross Finnie has given Scottish National Heritage the remit to set up a Marine park but making sure he still holds onto ultimate power and there is no thoughts of giving any powers away for conservation issues.

It seems the basic desire is to increase tourism through a fashionable marine park title. This fortunately leaves a few doors open to RSA as the SNH had no idea RSA generates such a huge income and I hope we will be included in the next stakeholder talks where they limit entry to 25 people of which 7 unfortunately are commercial fishing organizations.

I also learnt that as a result of a campaign I was in involved in last year. SNH are coming down to Luce Bay with remote underwater cameras to study the devastation caused by the clam dredgers. Only good can come from this.

All in all it was an interesting 14 hour day with some handy new contacts made.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian,

I dont know if i should be excited or dissapointed???

Very well done on going along and representing basically all of us. I dont know how you managed to resist the urge to go ahead and lay one on that commercial blokes chin, i certainly would have! That is what i call arrogance! So i guess another well done for keeping your cool, whilst not letting them get the better of you.

Keep us posted... the underwater camera thing sound great news!

Shaun

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

I echo Spur-Hounds sentiments Ian. Keep up the good work as you speak for the vast majority of us :)

Those underater shots to come of the sea bed damage will be very illuminating I am sure :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

well done mate keep me posted

small steps forward it seems but deffinately forward.

from our meetings and talks i can imagine it was pretty difficult not to slap that idiot as you care so much about the great natural resource that is luce bay and the mull of galloway.

keep gritiing your teeth and fighting your (our corner) mate will be in touch soon as it sounds like you need to get out fishing mate to enjoy what you are fighting so hard for

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Well done Ian ......

In the long run that kind of restraint and reasoned arguement will always pay. Those in power know only full well that they cannot be seen to be supporting such idiotic comments as you faced. They might 'favour' the commercials for whatever historic reason, but that kind of comment would be plotical suicide.

Not all commercials are 'bad', but those who shoot themselves in the foot like this deserve all they get. Ignorance is no defence but it still amazes me just how selfish some people can be. Why should his income and that of his crew be any more important than that of yours and your skippers?

common sense will always win ....eventually

when setting us these areas the commercial interest should also be represented as they still have a right to earn a living. just it should be done reponsibly. coming from a position of leaving the door open to them on that basis will make them sound out of touch and date.

i would also argue that any marine park should be catch and release for anglers as we must be seen to play our part in the development as well.

after the underwater imaging results are released may be a great place to develop atrificiall reefs and use it as a monitoring test bed

totally catch and release?

on the whole i would support the idea but may deter some from comming and therefore local economy

an occasional one for the pot sholud be allowed but then it would need policed

will this give more ammo to licencing lobby?

Andrew

SOS

SACN member

Hello Ian,

I echo the sentiments noted above, It is important that you take every opportunity to show RSA in a good light, the idea of conservation to some individuals is still very alien, and they do need educated.

Did you meet Gareth Griffiths, he was representing the SFSA, he has worked with SNH in the past.

Barry

common sense will always win ....eventually

when setting us these areas the commercial interest should also be represented as they still have a right to earn a living. just it should be done reponsibly. coming from a position of leaving the door open to them on that basis will make them sound out of touch and date.

i would also argue that any marine park should be catch and release for anglers as we must be seen to play our part in the development as well.

Hi Dale

I agree with all that you say and have said as much in aletter to the SNH this morning

will this give more ammo to licencing lobby?

I am not sure Andrew but I have no problem with a license providing the money is used to develop RSA.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I am not sure Andrew but I have no problem with a license providing the money is used to develop RSA.

no problem here either as long as their is development.

could be a great opportunity to be a benchmark for Marine Park and ? license

Andrew

SOS

SACN member