Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Sharkbyte

Jaffa, you support a dinosaur of an industry and as such I hope extinction is on the cards for much of it, sooner rather than later!

As for the 'sad git' comment I'll let it ride for the time being in the interests of a 'peaceful forum'.

I also was thinking of a peacefull forum.

The last figures I saw indicated 1.4bn euros of EU taxpayers money were handed over each year to support the fishing industry.

Other than those who took decommission, I don't know anybody who has received money for support, I certainly have not, if I don't earn enough to pay the bills I go bust , same as any body else, as there are PLENTY of fish for me to catch that ain't going to happen.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it makes no difference who said it. It is a plain stupid remark. Semantically it doesn't make much sense either. How can one be driven to dishonesty without being dishonest at the end? :blink:

It makes no sense to me. A book springs to mind, Orwell's 1984 with the infamous party slogans "War is Peace," "Freedom is Slavery," "Ignorance is Strength." If Orwell knew he would have added 'dishonest fishermen are not dishonest'

Hi FF, afraid the "chinese whispers" syndrome has crept into this thread and John quote was not quite right. Mr Goodwill was actually making the point that, In his opinion, these were decent men driven to dishonesty due to years the CFP. The true quote is in winters first post, as is part of a much longer speech in which his meaning is clear:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/51207-14.htm

Funnily enough, its George Orwells 1984, and imagining a boot on your face forever, and "Through the looking Glass" that most remind me of the CFP as well.

John, I missed your post about extending Scotland to the Humber. Reckon it could be a great country too. One with fantastic fish stocks! ;):).

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Dont think it has anything to do with who said it John. More to do with the fact a lot of people have had a warning about keeping things peacefull. I would have no problem with slagging our MP if I fealt it necassery. Only rates slightly higher than the last Mp who was a complete berk.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Sharkbyte,

The last figures I saw indicated 1.4bn euros of EU taxpayers money were handed over each year to support the fishing industry.
Go find out where all this money went, what proportion of that went to the UK in general, and given this threads topic, Whitby in particular and you might just learn something?

Dont think it has anything to do with who said it John. More to do with the fact a lot of people have had a warning about keeping things peacefull. I would have no problem with slagging our MP if I fealt it necassery. Only rates slightly higher than the last Mp who was a complete berk.

Winter,

What do you make of Mr Goodwills comments then? , assuming they are true of course.... . Do you believe it would have made any difference to your fish stocks? I think the Scots "aid" was tied to them being in harbour for so many days a month. Was the Whitby fleet tied that way? I guess both methods, judging by the fact Mr Locker says he sold several boats, and many scots decommissioned them, may have achieved the same result. When stocks recover though, will Whitby have a fleet? or will our postings be all about the "terrible damage" the Scots are doing to your local waters? :(

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Not too sure jaffa. Not very keen on different parts of the uk getting different subsidies - doesn't seem fair. Im still quite unwilling to accept that as the truth though. No doubt our subsidy went on something slightly different.

The owners of Yorkshire boats may well have sold a few boats but guess what they also bought some - Smaller boats (just under 60 foot) with bigger engines. Must have come as quite a shock when new rules were introduced that effected boats of this size and not just the bigger ones.

Will there be a fishing fleet on the yorkshire coast ???? If its viable yes there will be. Plenty of money amongst the fatter cats Jaffa - Even if they sold all the boats, which of course they wont, some of the skippers have enough cash and clout with the bank manager to buy more if it was again a good business opportunity. Not all though some will go under. Some of the poor buggers may only earn 8 grand a year but many dont, I just dont believe it. Lots of cash set asside in property etc too.

With regard to your point on blaming scottish boats Jaffa. They already do that here. On many occasions I have heared the blame for the state of the local fisherie being blamed on the scottish pair trawlers who visited in the 90's and early 2000.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Big Cod

If there was no quotas no cfp a free for all just like it was 5years ago it would just **** itself a lot faster.

Nice fish sam 15lb we were out uptding fri ,sat and sunday nothing as big as your 15lb cod but we have had a lot of fish around the 6-7lb mark, friday was the best day we had around 60codling the majority been 4-7 lb one or two over 8lb but a nice stamp of fish though the other days we had around 30-40 .

Does not sound like it's **** to me, charter boats in this area only had catches like that in the odd very good year over 20 years ago.

Worzel we have just had the best conditions you could get for this sort of fishing a week of northerlies thick water ,this brings plenty of cod close to the shore at this time of the year prime time as you would say.

But compair it to say 5 years ago when you could get over 100 codlings a day at this time now that is a 50% drop,the thing about whitby is it a special place for cod as you know when you came up from the south to enjoy our hospertality :D you have said your self if there is no cod at whitby there is non left in the world, butv what i am trying to say its still good fishing in the present climate but what i class as nothing special compaired to not to long ago.

The trawlers have all been fishing between 2 and 3 mile off this week they have had a good weeks work due to the mirky water but will it last.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Big Cod

we keep haveing this same conversation , One minuet you claim, as every body else on here does, that fish stocks have or are being wiped out, then you quote your good catches made from your boat. When we were at Whitby I can't remember the charter boats catching that much more if any, and I can remember coming to Whitby as an angler a few times around 30 years ago and not catching the amounts of fish you claim to catch these days.

So the truth is that catches do vary from year to year and fish stocks are nowhere near as bad as claimed.

And if this massive year class of codlings is fact, Arnold is correct in saying there should be a fleet at Whitby to fish for them, as there has been for the last 40 years. If they done thier worst and I doubt they would be allowed to, the fishing would come back down to what it is to day, which ain't that bad.

As stake holders ( I hate that bloody word) they are intitled to some of it and if anglers arn't happy with 50 or 60 fish a day then they are being greedy.

2 and 3 mile ????? I could have swam to those 3 I saw this morning. At least it wasnt the dozen boats that used to be up and down the back of the rock edge.

Has the price of fuel come down significantly for the boats ???

Just working from my own records I agree that catches are down at least 50 per cent on what they were 10 years ago but are still far better to most other places (although I here some scottish marks are doing well). Will another 10 years see another 50 per cent decline, will john and big cod still be in business, and will mr goodwill be asking questions in parliament about compensation for the charter boat industry which has gone down the pan ???? Or will they all have bought big boats that can fish seas previously uncharterd by any living human.

Dont forget to tune in to the next episode of - THe North Sea Cod **** Or Bust !!!!