Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you have it easy in the NE cod wise.............there had to be 40 RSA boats out Saturday, and the same again Sunday, off the Needles and I heard tell of about 4 cod in total!

2 weeks ago there were larg'ish boat comps from both Lymington and Poole (100+ anglers in the latter) and the Lymington catch was described as 'very poor' although I don't know exactly how many cod figured; for the Poole comp I do know that not 1 cod of any size came to the scales.

Now these fish aren't resident, and come from somewhere; well they would if they still existed.

Guest binatone

I have never personally had a single Penney compensation out of the fishing industry.

Regardless of what FLWTM says I don’t move big rocks around the North Sea.

The lad who does has caught more fish than he or his mate will ever see in a lifetime and that’s before he started moving rocks for a living.

As for boats towing at the back of the rock? What boats, of course the fishing won’t last inside, it never did. Even with the few boats that are fishing today, they will not catch it if the conditions are not right and they won’t stay right for long.

As for moving boarders. Yorkshire got independence from the rest of Britain long before our friends north of the boarder asked for it.

Guest Feels like Winter to me
Sounds to me like you have it easy in the NE cod wise.............there had to be 40 RSA boats out Saturday, and the same again Sunday, off the Needles and I heard tell of about 4 cod in total!

2 weeks ago there were larg'ish boat comps from both Lymington and Poole (100+ anglers in the latter) and the Lymington catch was described as 'very poor' although I don't know exactly how many cod figured; for the Poole comp I do know that not 1 cod of any size came to the scales.

Now these fish aren't resident, and come from somewhere; well they would if they still existed.

Phaeton are you The ghost of christmas yet to come ????? God help us if that scenario is the situation here in 10 years time. Lets hope John and BC can find another way to make a living.

Wurzel? do you think the remaining fleet is now so small and so tightly restricted it could have no impact on fish stocks ???? If so I guess the only worry is if the fleet break the law or global warming is the sole cause of what has happened.

Guest binatone
Big Cod

we keep haveing this same conversation , One minuet you claim, as every body else on here does, that fish stocks have or are being wiped out, then you quote your good catches made from your boat. When we were at Whitby I can't remember the charter boats catching that much more if any, and I can remember coming to Whitby as an angler a few times around 30 years ago and not catching the amounts of fish you claim to catch these days.

So the truth is that catches do vary from year to year and fish stocks are nowhere near as bad as claimed.

And if this massive year class of codlings is fact, Arnold is correct in saying there should be a fleet at Whitby to fish for them, as there has been for the last 40 years. If they done thier worst and I doubt they would be allowed to, the fishing would come back down to what it is to day, which ain't that bad.

As stake holders ( I hate that bloody word) they are intitled to some of it and if anglers arn't happy with 50 or 60 fish a day then they are being greedy.

I no this was a reply to big cod wurzel but I must say that you have summed so much up with these few words.

What the hell does he want? Besides an industry that he could not hack, to disbanded so that he can? Well do what, catch more fish? Why does he just not get on with it? Or is he not just doing that?

Wurzel have just seen something on TV. It says the polar ice cap on mars is disappearing at exactly the same rate as our own? Coincidence do you think?

Wurzel have just seen something on TV. It says the polar ice cap on mars is disappearing at exactly the same rate as our own? Coincidence do you think?

Thats it blame the martians now binatoon.

:D

You lot do make me laugh sometimes.

Cluching at straws or what.

you and wuzel should be on stage together.

Maybe the marshans are burning to much fosil fuels.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

If that's true about the ice cap on Mars, it sort of makes a nonsense of all this about emmisions, etc, being to blame for global warming.

How do they know?

Hi Steve,

Isn't Google a great thing :)

It seems this is one of several theories trying to explain why the climate on Mars appears to change. Another is that Mars intermitently "wobbles" on its axis. The powerful "anti climate change" lobby in the States appear to have latched on to it , so I guess we can expect to hear a lot more about it.

Some information in this press release from the Los Alamos Laboratory:

http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php?fuseact...date=2003-12-09

Odyssey orbiter studies Mars' changing weather and climate

By Public Affairs Office

December 9, 2003

Mars may be going through a period of climate change, new findings from NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter suggest.

The amount of frozen water near the surface in some relatively warm, low-latitude regions on both sides of Mars' equator appears too great to be in equilibrium with the atmosphere under current climatic conditions, said Laboratory Fellow William Feldman of Space and Atmospheric Sciences (ISR-1). He is the principal investigator for an Odyssey instrument that assesses water content indirectly through measurements of neutron emissions.

Odyssey has been mapping the distribution of materials on and near Mars' surface since early 2002, nearly a full annual cycle on Mars. Besides tracking seasonal changes, such as the advance and retreat of polar ice caps, the orbiter is returning evidence useful for learning about longer-term dynamics.

"One explanation could be that Mars is just coming out of an ice age," Feldman said. "In some low-latitude areas, the ice has already dissipated. In others, that process is slower and hasn't reached an equilibrium yet. Those areas are like the patches of snow you sometimes see persisting in protected spots long after the last snowfall of the winter."

Frozen water makes up as much as 10 percent of the top meter (3 feet) of surface material in some regions close to the equator. Dust deposits may be covering and insulating the lingering ice, Feldman said. He and other Odyssey scientists described their recent findings today at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco.

"Odyssey is giving us indications of recent global climate change in Mars," said Jeffrey Plaut, project scientist for the mission at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

High latitude regions of Mars have layers with differing ice content within the top half-meter (20 inches) or so of the surface, researchers conclude from mapping of hydrogen abundance based on gamma-ray emissions.

"A model that fits the data has three layers near the surface," said William Boynton of the University of Arizona, principal investigator for the gamma-ray spectrometer instrument on Odyssey. "The very top layer would be dry, with no ice. The next layer would contain ice in the pore spaces between grains of soil. Beneath that would be a very ice-rich layer, 60 to nearly 100 percent water ice."

Boynton interprets the iciest layer as a deposit of snow or frost, mixed with a little windblown dust, from a cold-climate era. The middle layer could be the result of changes brought in a warmer era: The ice down to a certain depth dissipates into the atmosphere. The dust left behind collapses into a soil layer with limited pore space for returning ice. Information from the gamma-ray spectrometer alone is not enough to yield an estimate of how recently the climate changed from colder to warmer, Boynton said.

JPL manages Mars Odyssey for NASA's Office of Space Science in Washington, D.C. Investigators at Los Alamos, Arizona State University, University of Arizona, NASA's Johnson Space Center, Houston and the Russian Aviation and Space Agency, Moscow, built and operate Odyssey science instruments. Information about the mission is available at http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey online.

:blink:

Although none of this disproves global warming through greenhouse gases, or the fact that stocks can be overfished Wurzel :P:) :)

Chris

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net