Uninsured Driver

blindog

Hi just wondering if anyone had any dealings with this before,heres the story

My 17 year old son was driving home from college at the start of last week,he was going a mile or two further than usual to take a freind home to the next village ,

Its pitch black and lashing rain the first he knows something is wrong is when he is up the back end of a car with no tail lights,he swerves but hits the other cars left side hits a drystone wall spins 360 and comes to a halt on the other side of the road facing the opposite way.

To cut along story the other driver has been charged with defective lights and no insurance,but what happens next !!! Should find out mid week if its a right off or not,from what other people say it looks like its my son thats getting the shi**y end of the stick for something that was not his fault.Its only a 1.1 Corsa but he had £200 plus alloys.its only worth about £1500 but i've been told he will be lucky to get £1000!! Can i claim from the driver or will i have to visit him some night :angry:

The bloody anoying thing is that he showed no thought for other road users and had two young kids in the back of the car so not only did he put my son and his m8 at risk but his own children.

By the way no one was injured apart from a bit oh whiplash and shock.

Lenny

Edited by blindog

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

I believe that there is a insurance company slush fund that is funded within the industry to compensate inderviduals that are unluky enough to find the selves in the same position as your lad, I would not hurt to inqiure, allso if you have the time and the inclination speak with a solicitor and find out if it would be worth persuing compansation from the Moron that caused the accident, even if it is £100 I would imagine it would spiol his day,and go some way towards off setting your lads costs.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Blindog, Sorry to say that a few years ago I was hit from behind whilst stationery by a car driver who drove around me then drove off. I was on a motorbike loaned to me by a dealer who was repairing my week old bike under warranty. I was thrown into the middle of the main road, but mercifully wasn't hit by anyone. I had to pay the dealers excess, £500, and as I wasn't hospitalised, no-one would offer me any help. The police sent a 28 day letter to the registered keeper of the car and subsequently summonsed him, but by the time he was due to appear in court he was already inside for some other offence, so dropped the charges.

Sorry if this has depressed you, but please don't take my word for it. Take it up with the Motor insurers federation (your son's broker in the first instance) but I'm pretty sure they will only step in if there are injuries.

Just thank your lucky stars your son is ok, I'm afraid the rest of it is sh*t. In my case, I'm glad my own bike was safe and sound and in bits at the time of the accident. I now live 50 yards from where my accident happened, bizzare???

Very best of luck,

Unc F

surely if you hit a car up the ass its your fault unless you can prove he reversed into you :blink: having no lights isnt really an excuse otherwise you could blame an owner sitting in his house if you hit his car parked on the road. :huh:

i'm surprised the police didnt get your son? for driving without due care after all had he not been present the accident wouldnt have happened :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Ferret1959
surely if you hit a car up the ass its your fault unless you can prove he reversed into you :blink: having no lights isnt really an excuse otherwise you could blame an owner sitting in his house if you hit his car parked on the road. :huh:

From the sounds he didn't hit the car with no lights but swerved to miss it but all went pear shaped. :(

he swerves but hits the other cars left side

maybe the impact disabled the other cars rear lights ,i'm sure if it ends up in court the defence will imply the fault lies solely with the behind car ,sorry to sound douptfull but thats how they work.

a clever brief will tell the court the lights were ok on setting out and the behind car was driving in a dangerous manner i.e too fast for the inclement weather ,his attention was distracted and he came across the other car going to fast to slow down in a safe manner and hit it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the chap that put me in hospital and wrote off my bike (in broad daylight ,my lights were on ,i had reflective strips everywhere and i was wearing a full flourescent orange jacket) was fined £50 for driving without due care ,£10 fpr defective eyesight and £10 for no insurance ,i ended up bikeless off work for a week and in those days the insurance companies didnt persue uninsured drivers and in those days no win no fee companies didnt exist

Edited by chesters1

Hello chesters, how are you mate?

Regardless of how the accident occured, If one of the two parties involved is not insured the accident is immiedaitley their fault as they should not be on the road. if they wouldn't have been there the collision wouldent have taken place.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!