Symbols Of Christmas

Ken L

hroughout Britain and Northern Europe, the robin represents the Holly King, who bloodily kills the Oak King - embodied by the wren. It is a story signifying the death of autumn and the onset of winter. The robin's red breast is the mark of this mythic bloodletting.

Right, I'm enlightened. Thanks for that.

Paul

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why has everything got to have hidden meaning? :angry:

how about this lt then:

father christmas- the kids love him

christmas tree - families getting together and having a damn good time

mistletoe - a bl@@dy good snog at the office patry (looking forward to that one on friday :D )

turkey - stuff your self stupid and enjoy every bit of it

boxing day - another family do, get bladdered!

i can't wait!

now stop knocking christmas you miserable sods and enjoy your selfs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

don't you lot ever have any fun? happy bl@@dy christmas :D

don't you lot ever have any fun? happy bl@@dy christmas :D

Most pagans of my acquaintance seem to be rather better at having fun (and not feeling guilty afterwards) than the Christians I know...

BTW, it's not so much *hidden* meaning that we're talking about, as *forgotten* (or even, for the more paranoid amongst us, *suppressed*) meaning.

:)

ok davy i give up!

happy christmas mate whoooooooooops i mean happy pagan day :D:P:D

Same to you, BZ! At least I won't be eating wren sandwiches for the next fortnight... :D

Father Christmas The old man with the sack

'Father Christmas' (or 'Santa Claus') has become the human face of Christmas. Pictures will be seen everywhere of the old man with long white beard, red coat, and bag of toys. Children are taught that he brings them presents the night before Christmas (or in some countries on December 6th - St. Nicholas' Day), and many children up to the age of 7 or 8 really believe this is true. In most countries, it is said that he lives near the North Pole, and arrives through the sky on a sledge (snow-cart) pulled by reindeer. He comes into houses down the chimney at midnight and places presents for the children in socks or bags by their beds or in front of the family Christmas tree.

In shops or at children's parties, someone will dress up as Father Christmas and give small presents to children, or ask them what gifts they want for Christmas. Christmas can be a time of magic and excitement for children.

Who was he?

Father Christmas is based on a real person, St. Nicholas, which explains his other name 'Santa Claus' which comes from the Dutch 'Sinterklaas'. Nicholas was a Christian leader from Myra (in modern-day Turkey) in the 4th century AD. He was very shy, and wanted to give money to poor people without them knowing about it. It is said that one day, he climbed the roof of a house and dropped a purse of money down the chimney. It landed in the stocking which a girl had put to dry by the fire! This may explain the belief that Father Christmas comes down the chimney and places gifts in children's stockings.

Boxing Day

In English-speaking countries, the day following Christmas Day is called 'Boxing Day'. This word comes from the custom which started in the Middle Ages around 800 years ago: churches would open their 'alms boxe' (boxes in which people had placed gifts of money) and distribute the contents to poor people in the neighbourhood on the day after Christmas. The tradition continues today - small gifts are often given to delivery workers such as postal staff and children who deliver newspapers.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

If ever you see a geezer standing near three boys in a tub, depicted in a stained glass window in a church - that's St Nicholas! He was credited with resurrecting the lads, who had been pickled in a brine tub by an unscrupulous inn-keeper (who no doubt intended to run a promotion on meat pies that week).

Not a lot of people know that... B)

Boxing Day

In English-speaking countries, the day following Christmas Day is called 'Boxing Day'. This word comes from the custom which started in the Middle Ages around 800 years ago: churches would open their 'alms boxe' (boxes in which people had placed gifts of money) and distribute the contents to poor people in the neighbourhood on the day after Christmas. The tradition continues today - small gifts are often given to delivery workers such as postal staff and children who deliver newspapers.

That's interesting. I've always believed the term originated from the gentry folk boxing up their leftovers from christmas day and distributing it to the poor. :huh:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

That's interesting. I've always believed the term originated from the gentry folk boxing up their leftovers from christmas day and distributing it to the poor. :huh:

It's another of those "origins obscure" things that mean you can believe whichever of a dozen explanations takes your fancy!

http://www.pauldenton.co.uk/Boxingday.htm

'With only 7% of the UK population being active Christians'

That's an interesting statistic I've not heard before, could you tell me from what source it is drawn.

Whether the modern day figures reflect it or not, this is a predominantly Christian country we live in, with traditions and customs and our government, judiciary and sovereignty are interwoven with the established Church.

I would speculate that the percentage quoted above being qualified with the word 'active' probably means that only 7% of the people surveyed actually go to a Christian Church regularly.

This is a long way from indicating that we are no longer a Christian country, many people will admit to not going to Church but will still claim to hold Christian beliefs.

As for modern media driven commercial Christmas, I think that most people are intelligent enough to differentiate between the purist Christian message and the rest of the hype, whilst enjoying aspects of both.

The fact that my house is decorated and we will eat and drink too much and lavish gifts on our family, doesn't mean we don't celebrate and give thanks for Jesus's birthday, each to his own.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates