STORM WILD EYE PERCH

spartafan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you ever fished for pike before?

as ian says, you need to make sure you have the proper trace, and unhooking gear, plus knowledge of what to do, should you actually hook a pike. if you're not sure about this, maybe better to reconsider and go fishing for something else instead

i been fishing for a about a year,mainly coarse,caught a few pike round about the 6lb mark,have got the wire traces,mat etc,am confident in handling them and returning them,mainly been catching perch,roach etc in the summer but moved on to pike in october.Why shouldnt i use it with a flost? any help is welcome,always willing to learn

cheers

soz,meant a float not a flost....lol

you dont use it with a float because it is a lure.

as in attach to the end of the trace and reel in in a manner as to imitate a prey fish, covering many depths of water and speeds of retrieve etc

this means the lure is not stationary so a float will give no bite indication. and a boyant float would stop the lure from sinking and change its action.

hmmmm really

OI OI if you really need to use a float forget your spinners & get some dead or live bait

but NOTa waggler or puddle chucker, what you need is what's called a cigar float.

:):):) good luck but take care.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

i been fishing for a about a year,mainly coarse,caught a few pike round about the 6lb mark,have got the wire traces,mat etc,am confident in handling them and returning them,mainly been catching perch,roach etc in the summer but moved on to pike in october.Why shouldnt i use it with a flost? any help is welcome,always willing to learn

cheers

soz,meant a float not a flost....lol

if the reason you shouldn't use it with a float isn't obvious, then maybe you're not as experienced as you think, sorry if that sounds blunt, but i can't put it any other way.

as bill says, if you do want to float fish for pike, you need to adopt different techniques than for regular float fishing.

use the storm lure with a lure rod, there are many ways to retrieve them, experiment with different speeds, jerk the rod tip occasionally, try different depths. fish it sink and draw style, in my experience, they are quite effective lures so you should have some success.

what wire traces are you using? please don't use those short plastic coated ones. try and use longer ones (people argue about how long, but 12 inches is an absolute minimum, most of mine are 18 or longer now. most of the major manufacturers (fox and drennan spring to mind) make decent quality traces.

you're in the right place for advice though, and ask away!

I can't find any UK articles about using a float with a lure which means either it does not work (doubtful) or it hasn't been tried much (probable).

Best I can manage is to offer some ideas from this side of the pond and suggest to you that in some situations, fishing a lure under a float can be a pretty good thing to try.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/fishing...,553024,00.html

http://www.bassonhook.com/zap/zap08172001.html

And from Here

How to Fish Soft Plastics

There are almost as many ways to fish with soft plastics as there are shapes and styles of baits. They can be fished year round, in shallow or deep water and anywhere in between, in open water, around structure, and in light or heavy cover:

Jigging – Jigging with soft plastic lures is perhaps the most common method. Here, the plastic body is threaded onto a one-piece combination of a molded head and hook (a leadhead). These can be cast, trolled or even fished under a float. When casting or trolling, the angler must deliver action to a soft plastic bait by raising and lowering the rod tip and reeling in slack line (if necessary) or “swimming” the bait at a specific depth.

Grubs are the most common plastic bait used for jigging, but leadhead jigs can also be used with worms, lizards, minnow imitations, crayfish and attractor plastics.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't find any UK articles about using a float with a lure which means either it does not work (doubtful) or it hasn't been tried much (probable).

Well said Newt, good post. If there is a high wind and a good chop on, I have often caught on deads fished a few feet down under a traditional float, so see no reason why a plastic lure wont work.

Use a traditional bung which goes bob-bob-bob rather than a cigar float which is more stable - more movement is imparted to the bait/lure that way. Cast across the wind and let it float round.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...