How to rig this little beauty?

Peter Waller

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have no doubts that said megga grub will pull the old girls, but I'm not so sure that my usual single hook rig will do the job. I shall play with it, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

Peter - I've tried to visualize a decent way of using a multi-hook setup with a curly tail grub and I really can't think of one that wouldn't totally ruin the action of that particular design.

Nice single-page article Here showing how one US pike angler rigs similar shapes.

With a more classic 'worm' design, you can certainly use multiple hooks and still be able to get a decent action on the worm but even there I'm not sure it is needed.

Take a look at the various rigs Here and you can see that the hook only occupies a small part of the front section of the lure. I pretty much rig this way and if the fish are of decent size, they seem to get the whole thing in their mouth pretty easily.

I freely admit I have never used a monster like the one you are dealing with but don't the folks who sell them have rigging suggestions? If not, an offset hook in a large size would be the way to go I think.

Mustad only has to 5/0 I think

39121bln_96.gif

Eagle Claw, Owner, Gamakatsu, and a few others have them to slightly larger sizes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

images says more then words so look at here

http://totalfishing.nl/roofvis/shadmontage/shadmontage.asp

works very good at all shads twisters grubbs etc etc

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hmm, think my wife saw something similar for sale at an Ann Summers party.

I'm assuming that the shad is 6", then in that case the curlytail has to be about the same diameter as akalin big un. A friend of mine has tried on and off for a couple of years and still hasn't been able hook up a hit. He's using a size 10/0 single (barbarian jig hook from sovereign superbaits) and two trebles set up either side as stingers. One of these towards the end of the body, the other closer to the front.

I have used the smaller version of that grub with a light size 7/0 jig head, with or without a stinger depending if the pike are "having it."

Incedently Peter, I'm very interested in the way you are using a circle hook for the shad. I've tried circles once for livebaiting which is an odd situation letting the pike move off and then winding down. (don't normally live bait in the summer, was a one off experiment) Do you disengage the reel on the take and let the fish move off and then wind down?

Thanks Ken & Jerry. Like both your illustrations show I do sometimes use 'grub screws', great little devices. Thanks for reminding me though, food for thought and probably the best way forward with these super grubz, I had forgotten them.

Jerry, your picture shows a weight under the shad, presumably to stop it twisting. To be honest not a problem that I have ever had but certainly an idea worth remembering.