Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economyas commercial fishing.

Guest @Winter@

Hello John

I still believe there is potential in charter angling in Whitby. However, the first stage of putting a job right is recognising that there is a problem in the first place.

I don't think any body can deney that there is a problem, but is it a problem that can be put right ? if so, how? and why has attemps to put it right failed?

Is it realy a problem ? or is it only a problem for those who won't or can not divercify(EU staight jacket) onto other fisheries eg sole,bass,lobsters or prawns, anglers change to bass or pollock,

Last summer while haveing a go" wiv me rod" on some off shore wrecks in this area, a slight change in tactics and method saw me catching a pollock every drop, most angling partys are happy to catch fish they are not so bothered what species. If cod do eventually disappear, I am sure some thing will fill the gap.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello John

I still believe there is potential in charter angling in Whitby. However, the first stage of putting a job right is recognising that there is a problem in the first place.

I don't think any body can deney that there is a problem, but is it a problem that can be put right ? if so, how? and why has attemps to put it right failed?

Is it realy a problem ? or is it only a problem for those who won't or can not divercify(EU staight jacket) onto other fisheries eg sole,bass,lobsters or prawns, anglers change to bass or pollock,

Last summer while haveing a go" wiv me rod" on some off shore wrecks in this area, a slight change in tactics and method saw me catching a pollock every drop, most angling partys are happy to catch fish they are not so bothered what species. If cod do eventually disappear, I am sure some thing will fill the gap.

Hi wurzel, how do you feel about the idea of a recreational only species? like bass and mullet, could you live with that???????????????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hello Stavey

Hi wurzel, how do you feel about the idea of a recreational only species? like bass and mullet, could you live with that???????????????

Only if I bought a charter boat.

Put your self in a commercial fishermans place just for a moment.

you've been fishing for bass say for 25 years, in that time you've had a good life, not earned a fortune but kept your head above water most of the time but enjoyed every minuet, you have past on your experieance on to your son who is as keen and enthusastick as you ever was, you can see no problem with the stock and can see no reason why you would not be able to carry on and eventually pass the boat over to him,

every thing looks as rosey as this job can be.

Suddenly some body comes along tells you that you can't do that any more cos we whant it all, cos our plessure is worth more than you are so bog off and leave it all for us.

How the Hell would you feel!

Hello Stavey

Only if I bought a charter boat.

Put your self in a commercial fishermans place just for a moment.

you've been fishing for bass say for 25 years, in that time you've had a good life, not earned a fortune but kept your head above water most of the time but enjoyed every minuet, you have past on your experieance on to your son who is as keen and enthusastick as you ever was, you can see no problem with the stock and can see no reason why you would not be able to carry on and eventually pass the boat over to him,

every thing looks as rosey as this job can be.

Suddenly some body comes along tells you that you can't do that any more cos we whant it all, cos our plessure is worth more than you are so bog off and leave it all for us.

How the Hell would you feel!

I understand what you are saying wurzel, but if the powers decided to make bass a recreational only fish it would not mean you or your son have to stop fishing for a living does it? i thought fishing for sole was your thing? and theres other fish is'nt there or is that all there is left in the north sea, and not wishing to be rude wurzel, life is a bitch is'nt it, i have been made redundant no less than 4 times, each time having to change occupations totaly, lost properties/ life time savings and been shafted by the taxman more than once etc etc, so you saying and bleating about a couple of diddly squat changes compared to what crap a lot of people have had to deal with in their worklife is pretty miniscule to say the least.

I think that through the commercial's stubborness for not accepting that changes are needed! it will only hasten their demise eventualy and if your son has no future wurzel in commercial fishing in a decades time it will not be us anglers fault, but your very own, you still have a chance for this not to happen but that does mean you have to view us anglers as friends and not foe! whats it gonna be wurzel???????????

Edited by stavey

Hello Stavey

Why are changes needed?

Left alone there is no reason why things would not carry on as they have done so in the past, what would be my fault?

We are being forced off the sole fishery not because of a lack of fish or any sighn there will be a lack of fish but because the Dutch have aquired most of our quota,

Bass are perfectly sustainable and showing sighns of getting better, so again if left alone no problem in earning a crust for the forseeable future.

you are under the impression that fishing is just another job, a job we do just to earn money, it's hard to put in words just how far off the mark you are, no it's impossible to decribe, A way of life, addictive, no known cure, you live it, breathe it in, smell it, can't keep away more than a few days or even hours some times. I get just as excited at the prospect of going to work now as I did 25 years a go, how many can say that of thier work place.

So when you get some suit telling you that all of a sudden you can't do it because of a load of jobs worth bull**** we tend to get a bit annoyed. If that is being stubburn well so be it, as yet nobody has come up with any credible evidence why I should have to change jobs willingley.

Guest binatone
Hello John

I believe there was a lad from Whitby who started doing a bit of shark fishing; this could be a good alternative. Do you keep any records of what you catch????? If somebody was to ask you to justify your reason for going to sea to catch fish commercially, would you be able to give him or her any idea on what you managed to catch in a year????

Would anybody run a business and not keep records????

Or is it as simple as, have a good days fishing and post some photos. Have a bad day and blame some commercials.???? .

Hello Stavey

Why are changes needed?

Left alone there is no reason why things would not carry on as they have done so in the past, what would be my fault?

We are being forced off the sole fishery not because of a lack of fish or any sighn there will be a lack of fish but because the Dutch have aquired most of our quota,

Bass are perfectly sustainable and showing sighns of getting better, so again if left alone no problem in earning a crust for the forseeable future.

you are under the impression that fishing is just another job, a job we do just to earn money, it's hard to put in words just how far off the mark you are, no it's impossible to decribe, A way of life, addictive, no known cure, you live it, breathe it in, smell it, can't keep away more than a few days or even hours some times. I get just as excited at the prospect of going to work now as I did 25 years a go, how many can say that of thier work place.

So when you get some suit telling you that all of a sudden you can't do it because of a load of jobs worth bull**** we tend to get a bit annoyed. If that is being stubburn well so be it, as yet nobody has come up with any credible evidence why I should have to change jobs willingley.

Ok wurzel, your addicted to your profession and you say there is no cure, right i believe you, and that is the last time i shal mention a job change to you, so lets try and find an answer to your problems,

As i see it you are letting the eu and are government bully you about yes? why the f*ck are you letting this happen? would the french put up with this? i think not they would blockade calais etc, but the english? now if you and the rest of the ten metre brigade was to stick your lttle boats in strategic areas you could cause quite a big stir i am sure, it would atleast get you on telly but you might end up in the nick though?

If you was to do something like that you would gain a lot of respect from joe public and probably a lot of anglers as well, for standing up to be counted instead of relying on suited up bullshi**ers as you put it to sort your problems out.

The problem with the above suggestion is it would only be a quick fix for your frustration and in the end even the public would turn against you, a better solution for the longer term benefits is to find common ground with sea anglers as we have been trying at times to do on here for the past year or two, agreed? if you was to let your objection to the 45cm proposal for bass go and adopt 110m nets i would make a promise to do as much as i can to try and help you and commercials sort out the sole quota and get some of that back from the dutch or whatever, deal or not wurzel???? you know it makes sense, you see it is called the numbers game at the end of the day commercial fishermen numbers on their own is insignificant,tiny, compared to rsa's i am sure you know this? why dont you be smart, rsa's are not going away wurzel and you will have to put up with their ideals eventualy, its to late now to try and smother them this government and future ones are aware of the amount of dosh it can make and will contribute to the treasury, so work with rsa's while you can for you and the commercials benefit and build a relationship before the ship leaves port wurzel, cheers.........

Yet another potentialy interesting thread hijacked by the beaters of the BMP again.

It seems that every opportunity some posters get to turn any thread any discussion around to the BMP they take and to hell with any form of reasoned debate either on the original hijacked thread or on the BMP itself.

It's quite obvious to all now that the BMP as a national model will not work but as a selective regional plan it has many merits , the deep south and south west fisheries benefitting most as this is where the vast majority of UK bass fishing occurs.

Licences, quotas, the prevention of commercial fishing on developing fisheries whilst converting from catching cod to bass and two year moratoriams on bass fishing for commercial boats is about the jist of the BMP, whilst still allowing anglers to catch bass. That seems a bit unbalanced to me.

For those posters who continually tell us the only way to increase the number of anglers participating in the sport is to accept the BMP in full, well I'm still awating a reply as to how that will be achieved. If its adopted on a Friday will there be more anglers turning up in Whitby on a Saturday, a week on Saturday,a year come Saturday or will Tinkerbell sprinkle some magic fairy dust that will make anglers jump in their motors and travel to Whitby.

Some of the previous posters on this thread have selective memory loss when it comes to posting , either that or they choose to ignore what many have previously stated and that is that bass have been up here years(I was catching them 27 years ago) but that there is no sustainable bass charter fishing available that would attract anglers to Whitby to pay good money to fish for them, thats not saying that there are no bass just that there are not enough to satisfy angling parties.

If the BMP was to be reccommended to all Sea Fisheries committies (not imposed) then they could select the bits that would benefit their areas on a region by region basis. If it was'nt already recognised that the UK as a whole has different fisheries and different management issues then why do we have regional sea fishery committees at all. Quite simply its because the one size glove approach to fishery management is impractical and unworkable

No one I know resists the increase in mls for bass as everyone agrees that to take stock before they've bred is stupid so a phased increase in mls is neccessary but if the BMP supporters want bass boats to stop fishing for them then they have to be prepared to subsidise those boats that have traditionally fished for them and can prove that by their own records. Anglers should be limited also during this transitional period and if commercial fishing for bass is prohibited then the same measures should also apply to anglers. NO bass fishing at all. It should also be made illegal to sell within the UK bass landed abroad that does not comply with any current or proposed increase in size limits.

To the extent that size limits are also increased a like for like measure should also take place with the mesh sizes so that undersized fish can escape and breed that much is agreed by all the commercial posters on here but some would impose restrictive licencing arrangements on boats and strict quotas with a limited number of bass tags available for the year thereby use of stealth push out commercial bass fishing by price. Some suggest it may be 2 years until bass go from 36cm to 45cm( see response to Davy Holts question on Scottish BMP) but how will boats survive until then when the crazy quota system prevents then from catching other species.

Thanks for the address to which to send responses in regarding the BMP as I think I will now have to add my twopennethworth

Hello Savey

As i see it you are letting the eu and are government bully you about yes? why the f*ck are you letting this happen?

Believe me Stavey we have tried to stop it, there is just so few of us that it effects now, we are only talking of the north sea sole quota, the south coast have plenty, devide and rule. A hand full of under 10 meter boats from the SE coast have no chance against the Dutch beamer fleet. Our polictions have had thier teeth and claws pulled so they are useless. it feels like an ant trying to judo throw an elephant, it gets so frustating.

Perhaps we'll have to move south everdently the sea is knee deep in soles in your area, 10 ton a month against 1 ton here.

would the french put up with this? i think not they would blockade calais etc, but the english? now if you and the rest of the ten metre brigade was to stick your lttle boats in strategic areas you could cause quite a big stir i am sure, it would atleast get you on telly but you might end up in the nick though?

Some boats tried it at Falmouth I think, they all got massive bills from the ferry companys for lose of earnings.

if you was to let your objection to the 45cm proposal for bass go and adopt 110m nets i would make a promise to do as much as i can to try and help you and commercials sort out the sole quota and get some of that back from the dutch or whatever, deal or not wurzel???

Deal!!!

ring this number 020 7270 81110 ask for Ian, tell him you need at least another 100 tons of dover sole for the UK north sea fleet, and don't take no for an answer.

this government and future ones are aware of the amount of dosh it can make and will contribute to the treasury

you got that right.

Hiya Brian,

number of bass tags available for the year thereby use of stealth push out commercial bass fishing by price. Some suggest it may be 2 years until bass go from 36cm to 45cm( see response to Davy Holts question on Scottish BMP) but how will boats survive until then when the crazy quota system prevents then from catching other species.

OK for the record, I'm not sold on the BMP, with my biggest concern being "what are the commercials gonna catch while they are waiting for the Bass to grow". From what I can see there is no way the commercials are gonna sit back for a year or two waiting for the Bass to grow. Nope they are gonna diversify as best they can which means there going to be lot more pressure on already depleted stocks of other inshore fish, which means even worse fishing for anyone that aint interested in bass :(

So in short.. if you fish for Bass you win, if you fish for anything else you lose for a couple of years then fingers crossed you target fish stocks "might" increase as a by product of the BMP.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this one .. but just cant see it happening :(

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"