Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economyas commercial fishing.

Guest @Winter@

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a brief summary of regulations governing the taking of saltwater species in Florida for personal use. It is not intended or designed to provide specific information on commercial harvesting of these species. The failure to include complete laws, rules, and regulations in this summary does not relieve persons from abiding by those laws, rules, or regulations. All measurements will be considered total length unless otherwise specified. Total length definition shall apply to the particular species being measured. Definition of total length varies from species to species.

Sea Bass - Black 10" 20 per person per day - Atlantic

Do they enforce this in America???

Why would a BASS management plan have such measures for COD anglers. THe BMP has lots of measures to hopefully make sure there are more and bigger bass in the sea. Bass angling as I understand it will become something completely different, where you fish with the knowledge there are lots of fish in the sea and an ever increasing chance of catching bigger non school bass every time you wet a line.

The BMP holds no such measures for cod anglers and as I see it our sport will continue to decline untill we have people as clued up as LEON and the others who come up with a cod management plan. Proposed bag limits should be only for bass anglers untill the other species have the same protectory measures in place.

As far as I'm concerened, @Winter@ has got it spot on with that post.

Brian

Where in the BMP does it mention any other species of fish apart from Bass? I haven't seen anything in it that would make me think that bag limits for other species are on the agenda.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

If applied to shore fishing the bag limit would be the ruin of all the fishing clubs on the North east coast.

The commercials said the same thing about quotas, did not make any difference, they still implimented them.

Do you think it would have much effect on the Whitby charter fleet if they had to impliment a two or three fish bag limit .

I have just spoken to a Belgium friend, he says the anglers there are allowed 15Kg of cod and 20 kg of bass, if they have both then it is no more than 15 for cod but only 5 of bass or 10 of both or 15 of bass and only 5 of cod , sounds like more than enough to me.

Why should you be any different, don't forget the Need To Manage brigade are on your case, brought to thier attention by the BMP brigade.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I have just spoken to a Belgium friend, he says the anglers there are allowed 15Kg of cod and 20 kg of bass, if they have both then it is no more than 15 for cod but only 5 of bass or 10 of both or 15 of bass and only 5 of cod , sounds like more than enough to me.

Sounds O.K to me Peter. That new buyers and sellers charter states more or less the same thing. You can have 25kg of fish a day for personal consumption, anything more than that and you need a licence. I know the charter is full of holes and very difficult to monitor, but the principle of limits is already here.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello @winter@

My son has the patients of a bear with tooth ache! where as I have the patients of a saint.

I am not scaremongering, the Dutch and Belgiums have had it in place for a while, everdently the French are in the process of implimenting it so it is only a matter of time.

I take it you are not in favour. It's not so bad for the beach angler, I suppose Big Cods or JBs anglers once they have caught thier quota could target non quota fish like ling or pollock, be a discard problem though.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Bag limits for anglers on charter boats are nothing new.

Back in the 70s the Plymouth boats all had a 2 fish per angler limit. You could catch more, but that is all you were allowed to keep. The boats had queues for spaces. Certainly Dad was never short of anglers, we ran full, full time throughout the year save about a fortnight over winter when she was craned out for antifouling - in a mad rush. That was always MY job!

The winter was always the time of big pollock and coalfish and the spring tides were always booked months in advance. We were never scratching around for a boat load.

Makes me wonder where all those anglers have gone - bought their own boats perhaps? There are a great many anglers who run their own boat now. A trailerable boat and outboard is now more affordable than ever for the normal man in the street. Standard famliy cars are more powerful and therefore capable of towing them.....

One question somone might be able to answer for me:

The Dave Pessell who is the comercial fishermans spokesman in the SW - is this the SAME Dave Pessell who ran the charter boat "Sweet Home"? If he is, it is a bit of a turn round isn't it. Gamekeeper turned poacher!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Bag limits for anglers on charter boats are nothing new.

Back in the 70s the Plymouth boats all had a 2 fish per angler limit. You could catch more, but that is all you were allowed to keep. The boats had queues for spaces. Certainly Dad was never short of anglers, we ran full, full time throughout the year save about a fortnight over winter when she was craned out for antifouling - in a mad rush. That was always MY job!

Was'nt that also the time when charter boat skippers kept all the rest of the fish and sold them on the fish quay , offsetting the costs of chartering against income derived from fish sales.

John

I already have my opinions so I would like to know yours. What effect would proposed bag limits have on your business and others that operate charter boat fishing throughout the UK if the proposed bag limits as alluded to in the BMP come in to being and cover all species as is the rationale behind the BMP

Hi Brian,

I am quite sure that, sooner or later, bag limits will be imposed on all recreational fishing. This is the trend throughout the world. In 1978, when I was a commercial fisherman working on the West Coast of Canada and Alaska, they already had closed periods and quotas for commercial fishing, and bag limits for most recreational species.

In my case, cod is our main target species. When bag limits are imposed, ‘catch and release’ will have to be practised; with anglers just keeping their best fish. Lighter tackle with single hooks or lures will become the norm. Riving them in over the rail three and four at a time will become pointless and a thing of the past.

Ian Burrett brought up this point of ‘catch and release’ with me a while ago, and it set me thinking. A small percentage of my customers were already practising ‘catch and release’ - I had a bit on my website about it, to encourage this practice. However, after Ian’s comments, I decided I should elaborate on this – with advice on how to handle fish, etc - and hope to find the time to do so before the winter is out.

In my experience, anglers don’t accept sudden changes, so timing will be everything. ‘Catch and release’ will have to be done gradually and charter skippers should be thinking about it now. They will need to educate anglers towards this practice, and this will take time. If a bag limit was dropped on us now, I believe it would cause damage to businesses.

It is said that every cloud has a silver lining. In the case of ‘catch and release’, I am likely to save fuel as I will not have to steam all over the North Sea looking for wrecks full of fish. We will be putting most of them back, to be caught another day.

JB

Edited by John and Michele

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com