Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Guest @Winter@
Hello Big Cod

A man with a rod and line will never do any damage to cod stocks we arent even a spec in the equasion

You and your anglers probably catch and land more cod over the year than most of the local long liners, if there was to be a cod stop implimented why should they be stopped and not you?

At the moment every sigle cod landed is damage to the cod stocks.

Any way the presant cod fleet is but a speck in the equation.

There are 2 ways to look at that wurzel and it could well be a true statement. The longliners are restricted by a tight quota and so probably cant land as much fish as they would like at times. I dont think that means the charter guys should land less I think the liners should be able to land more. Here you have one of the most sustainable ways of fishing being penalised. Your a man who likes incentives. Shouldnt longlining as a method be encouraged whilst Pair trawling and high discards should be penalised?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, just because your happy now your the cod farther theres no need to get all cocky mate.lol

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

If the cod is doomed due to climate change, overfishing, lack of plankton or whatever. Shouldn't we stop returning them and eat them while we can get a few?. I mean if they are going to definatly die out why just watch them die? Is this not logical ?

Hello Winter

The total effort/normal fishing at present times must be more than the cod stocks can handle as cod numbers here are declining and thus that is overfishing. This does not mean that recreational angling is overfishing.

Were do you draw the line? you could have say 4 pair teams, 6 single trawlers 3 wreck netters 30 small long liners and 500,000 cod anglers

You stop any one of them, they could rightly say why us and not them

you cannot currently declare it a failure because of the lack of enforcement over recent times.

Do you think that the activitys of a few boats at Whitby have that much impact on the North Sea cod stocks?

Shouldnt longlining as a method be encouraged whilst Pair trawling and high discards should be penalised?

Pair trawling does not have to have high discards, they could and should be eliminated.

Why should pair trawlers then be penalised. I have seen plenty of undersized fish on a long line, some swim off alot don't.

When I used to go long lineing we regulary caught more cod per boat than the local pair teams. Never did make much money at it though, the bait supplier seemed to be making more than I was.

Any way I thought the cod fishing had improved for you this year, it has a little here, so there's still hope.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest @Winter@

Hi m8,

no with regards to cod fishing it is actually worse this year. Some people have caught a bit more in weight due to the average size of fish being well up on that of last year but the actual fish numbers are well down. I know some people who havent caught a shore fish since october and they have been trying quite hard. Not sure why that should be when other areas are reporting a slight improvement. Perhaps the local stock here has been hit hard, perhaps other factors have kept the fish at sea to feed rather than seeing them come to the shore as usual. I'm hoping docs reports of Small codlings in the Humber means next year is the improvement for us.

As always we will have to agree to disagree but I must pull you on one point. I dont think you believe for one moment that it is the activities of a small group of men from Whitby that caused the current Problem. That was only a small tip of a very large iceberg.

Hello Winter

The total effort/normal fishing at present times must be more than the cod stocks can handle as cod numbers here are declining and thus that is overfishing. This does not mean that recreational angling is overfishing.

Were do you draw the line? you could have say 4 pair teams, 6 single trawlers 3 wreck netters 30 small long liners and 500,000 cod anglers

You stop any one of them, they could rightly say why us and not them

you cannot currently declare it a failure because of the lack of enforcement over recent times.

Do you think that the activitys of a few boats at Whitby have that much impact on the North Sea cod stocks?

Shouldnt longlining as a method be encouraged whilst Pair trawling and high discards should be penalised?

Pair trawling does not have to have high discards, they could and should be eliminated.

Why should pair trawlers then be penalised. I have seen plenty of undersized fish on a long line, some swim off alot don't.

When I used to go long lineing we regulary caught more cod per boat than the local pair teams. Never did make much money at it though, the bait supplier seemed to be making more than I was.

Any way I thought the cod fishing had improved for you this year, it has a little here, so there's still hope.

500,000 Cod anglers are going to catch very few Cod between them. They don't all fish at the same time, so the number on a given day would be much smaller. Catches are very very poor, so anglers are just a pinprick compared to big trawlers, and have no effect on Cod stocks.

If the cod is doomed due to climate change, overfishing, lack of plankton or whatever. Shouldn't we stop returning them and eat them while we can get a few?. I mean if they are going to definatly die out why just watch them die? Is this not logical ?

No. It's like saying " We are all going to die, so why not just kill each other!" Doh! :unsure:

Morning @winter@

As always we will have to agree to disagree but I must pull you on one point. I dont think you believe for one moment that it is the activities of a small group of men from Whitby that caused the current Problem. That was only a small tip of a very large iceberg.

Perhaps Binatone or Jaffa might comment as I am on unsure ground here.

All fishermen fishing for fish on a quota have had problems in the past whether fishing for prawns, monks,haddock, plaice, soles and also cod, you seem to be under the impression that all black fish is cod when in reality only a small percent would have been cod, further north cod is not the main target species, I think haddock and prawns are and have always been the mainstay of the Scottish fleet, often what cod is landed at ports like PeterHead are caught from the outer reaches of the north sea or further, any UK boats fishing the Norwegian sector were constantly harassed by the very strict Norwegian fishery patrols I doubt much black fish came from there.

Are you saying the very large iceberg was only parked in Whitby harbour?

If black fish was the cause of the current problems why are haddock stocks so healthy?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest @Winter@

Haddocks - Not something I really know anything about as they dont come to the shore. Arent current Haddock stocks linked to a large year class from around 99. If what I read is correct there have been no good spawning years since and Haddocks if fished at current rates are said to be in danger of becoming a stock with below safe levels pretty soon. A case of 1 good year in 10 not been enough I guess. I realise you and the others will deny that and so once again we will have to agree to disagree for the sanity of the other readers and posters here.

Ices recommended reducing the haddock quota from 66,000 tonnes to 39,000 tonnes in 2006. Why would they do that if the stock was healthy.

Just out of interest what do baby haddocks eat ??? Not Plankton obviously otherwise the lack of it from global warming would be effecting them too.

Edited by @Winter@

Guest @Winter@

Only thing I could find says Haddock eat Copods in their early life what are Copods. Never heared of them anyone know what a copod is please?

Couldnt a cod eat copods ?

Edited by @Winter@