Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

5 trawlers this week fishing no further 3 milesoff have landed over 200boxes of codling this week.

Excuse my ignorance BC but if these codling averaged say 2-4lb how many would it take to fill one box???????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stavey 5000 plus depending on the size of the codling if they are tidds which is 35cm around a 1lb that would be over 10000 fish then there is the discards. and some anglers go all winter and dont catch ONE.

HELLS BELLS" i dont no about a box they sound like a shipping container size, and like you said that is what is landed, i take it legaly? so how many are being discarded and ad to that the black fish? it is no wonder that commercials want to be left alone because of the fear of truth coming out no doubt, if binatone or wurzel or any commercial think these figures are a bit ott bc, i would find it most disbelieving if you were to even halve the figures, and then they were to say this would have no effect on the future cod stocks from that area or even further afield......

Guest @Winter@

Just think what was being landed around 2000. 5 times more boats and a lot bigger black market. Put's the whole thing in perspective. You can see why they speak about banning anglers. they want to silence us.

HELLS BELLS" i dont no about a box they sound like a shipping container size, and like you said that is what is landed, i take it legaly? so how many are being discarded and ad to that the black fish? it is no wonder that commercials want to be left alone because of the fear of truth coming out no doubt, if binatone or wurzel or any commercial think these figures are a bit ott bc, i would find it most disbelieving if you were to even halve the figures, and then they were to say this would have no effect on the future cod stocks from that area or even further afield......

Stavey,

Just think of all of the fish shops in your town with pieces of cod fried and ready, and more cod in the freezer.

Think of the boxes of cod in all of the supermarket freezers, cod fish-fingers, breaded cod, cod in parsely sauce etc.

Cod lying on the counters of wet fish shops and wet fish counters.

All of the restuarants, pubs and fast food shops throughout the town, with cod on the menu.

All of the family freezers with cod stored in there somewhere.

Now think of all of the towns all over the UK with fish and chip shops, supermarkets, fishmongers, etc

That is one hell of a lot of cod to get your head around!

Some of it comes from Whitby!!

But if cod had been managed better, there might be a lot more of it sustainably available now, and the price would be cheaper too.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just think what was being landed around 2000. 5 times more boats and a lot bigger black market. Put's the whole thing in perspective. You can see why they speak about banning anglers. they want to silence us.

Its not hard to see why winter, do you or bc know if these trawlers are working for one company? or are they independent skippers etc, again i know nothing of your area but we had the same problems from not only are own trawlers but most of europes through out the 70's 80's 90's and you know what has happened to our cod stock down here, even though we had several cod bans no one took any notice, seriously though winter you and bc and anyone else around there probably the whole north east has got to get organised somehow to do something before its to late? like it is for us down here :( as regards cod mate.........

As binitone says there isnt many trawlers left who actually fish for cod nowadays but reason why ,some of the big boys are now hitting the mackerel very hard a friend of mine his cousen from peterhead has just ordered a new boat cost 16 MILLION now that is big bucks mainly for thr mackeral fisherie i think he said the crew HAve earned around £70000 in wages this year i think we are in the wrong job but these guys put some terrible weather away fishing on the west coast in winter.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Stavey,

Just think of all of the fish shops in your town with pieces of cod fried and ready, and more cod in the freezer.

Think of the boxes of cod in all of the supermarket freezers, cod fish-fingers, breaded cod, cod in parsely sauce etc.

Cod lying on the counters of wet fish shops and wet fish counters.

All of the restuarants, pubs and fast food shops throughout the town, with cod on the menu.

All of the family freezers with cod stored in there somewhere.

Now think of all of the towns all over the UK with fish and chip shops, supermarkets, fishmongers, etc

That is one hell of a lot of cod to get your head around!

Some of it comes from Whitby!!

But if cod had been managed better, there might be a lot more of it sustainably available now, and the price would be cheaper too.

Tight Lines - leon

Yes leon i agree totaly, but surely a lot of this cod now comes from further afield like norway etc, our stocks would never support a market so huge, cod i would argue from what i know and heard on here etc, is valued the most by the majority of british sea anglers would you not say? therefor as with the bass it may now have a bigger value for our rsa's as a sport fish than for our commercials, and it is time that some sort of organisation was formed like (B.A.S.S. did for bass) for this very important fish species while it is still available in some areas.

Edited by stavey

Guest binatone
Stavey 5000 plus depending on the size of the codling if they are tidds which is 35cm around a 1lb that would be over 10000 fish then there is the discards. and some anglers go all winter and dont catch ONE.

5000 fish in one box. please please?

Hello big cod.

I have asked the question now three times. How much fish in your estimation do anglers catch on charter boats (from Whitby) in an average season?

You have asked me questions on this thread that I have answered the best that I can, regarding what I know of the event.

How can we discuss a subject that no body seams to be prepared to put any figures to?

If you are not prepared to commit yourself to any alliance with trawler men on a proposed closer of this fishery then I can only presume that you would not be prepared to participate in any reduction (or change) in your commercial activities when this fishery is ongoing.

That I can understand. What I cannot understand is your blatant refusal to disclose (and therefore help to establish) any fingers on what you estimate that anglers catch in a seasons fishing from Whitby.

I have put what I think are my estimations, I can only go on what you report on this forum, from time to time. Am I way off the mark with my numbers (and if, so higher or lower?) or do you simply not know what you and your association catch?

I would have thought that responsibility and accountability would have to be essential to the economic and fiscal health of the commercial angling industry, if you want to be a major participant in the management of any sort of fishery.