Help! One to get you thinking

Colin Brett

Guest NickInTheNorth

It is a version of linux which works from CD. Download the CD image, write to CD, stick the cd in the drive and it runs automatically. You don't actually install anything. Good for identifying if there is a genuine hardware problem or if it is simplky some sort of windows driver issue with you hardware.

My personal favourite is Ubuntu, find it at http://www.ubuntu.net/ go to downloads and select a "live cd" download.

go back to basics and put it all back together 'as was' but laid out on a non conductive board.

If it works then a case short is most likely.

And the mouse may well work ok in setup as no drivers are required - in WXX drivers will be loaded.

You did try 'safe mode' right at the start??

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sandpipper

Hi, I had the very same problem a few weeks ago it beat me eveytime, mouse freezing after booting up, in the and found i had a boot virus even after reinstalling xp there it was again. Had to flash the motherboard with the backup battery out to get rid of it,very easy to do but have been told you can knacker it up if you do it wrong, it sorted out my problem. cant remember the virus name now but it had (startup/8188) in it.

also try booting up with out the mouse plugged in and just use the keyboard to navigate around see what happens then.

good point on the boot-virus, but as he said be very careful on bios flashing.

see if the eprom has a backup facility as you might be able to reset the bios back to when it was ok.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image