BASS AND COD IN BEFORE OVER FISHING

sam-cox

I have been a sea angler for more than 40 years, I have for the last 20 years been mostly a specimen bass angler. I have in the last 10 years caught over 10 double figure bass and lots (so many I've lost count) bass in the 5 to 10 lb range.

I fully support these new proposals and although I have read the complete article on the ukbass.com website, I was a little worried that I didn't read anything for the increase in gill net mesh sizes or did I miss it?

I know there are a lot of proposals in there for the restriction of gill nets in areas and times of the year etc but unless there is an increase in gill net mesh sizes there will still be young bass and other species caught and killed.....

But maybe I missed it, at least I hope I did!

Edited by Jack

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idealy anglers want an increase from 90mil to 115mil, but I think 110 is in the pipeline.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hello Jack

You defiantly missed it.

By the look of your catches perhaps you could give some on here a few pointers, they reckon there are no large bass, or fish for that matter, left .

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel I thought it was commercial fisherman who were surgesting that large bass do not come inshore in numbers.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Depends on what numbers you quantify as lots Sam, why did your dad have to steam 3 hours off to find large shoals of bass, was there ever that quantity of large bass close to the shore?

I fish to live and live to fish.

There wasnt the numbers of bass inshore in those days, there wasnt as many bass then as now, its not numbers really the bmp is trying to acheave its more better fish.

In the 60s me dad used to average 3 fish per session, most over five lb,

now days we catch lots more bass per session but most are very small as they are creamed at 36cm. If the bmp is implemented we have the prospect of lots of better bass, this has the protentual to dwarf the fishing in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Does anyone know of a study which details fishing mortality. natural mortality and predation.

It's easy to claim that the bass are being "creamed" before they get a chance to grow and blame whatever sector to make your point but where is the evidence?

"I fish therefore I am"

There were lots more larger fish, but not as many fish in total. We now have lots of small bass that if left to grow to 45cm could provide some decent sport.

In the late 60s gill nets were just starting, at that time bass spawning were fairly low as was servival rates. The was vast shoals of large bass at times but this can not reflect on the population as a whole.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.