Blue maggots

DavyR

I rarely buy maggots for bait, and in particular I haven't bought coloured ones (other than reds) for many years. This morning, though, I bought a pint of "mixed" for fishing tomorrow, and was surprised to see that among the white, red, pink and yellow ones were a few that were coloured blue.

I've never seen a blue maggot before! Have they been around for years? I've never seen them mentioned in any of the angling publications I read (or indeed on this forum).

Are they just put in to make up the numbers and look weird, or has anyone on here actually caught fish on them?

I rarely buy maggots for bait, and in particular I haven't bought coloured ones (other than reds) for many years. This morning, though, I bought a pint of "mixed" for fishing tomorrow, and was surprised to see that among the white, red, pink and yellow ones were a few that were coloured blue.

I've never seen a blue maggot before! Have they been around for years? I've never seen them mentioned in any of the angling publications I read (or indeed on this forum).

Are they just put in to make up the numbers and look weird, or has anyone on here actually caught fish on them?

I know a guy who used to swear by green maggots, dont know what dye he used though. Maybe some of the got mixed in with the yellow.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Well, I *did* catch roach on the blue maggots (and on all the other colours as well!). All small, though. The only half-way decent fish of the session (a 4lb mirror carp) turned out not to have taken the bait at all, being foul-hooked in the pectoral... :(

Just shows how unpredictable fishing can be - apparently ideal conditions (mild, southerly breeze) and I was the only one of half-a-dozen on the pool to catch.

On my last visit (cold, ice covering half the surface on arrival), I was the only one on the pool *not* catching... :huh:

On their day they can be a great bait, i think a lot of people wont use them and throw them in, leaving the fish thinking they are safe.

Been out a few years now.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

They must work for someone, otherwise the producers would have no call for having them there but I haven't had any luck with blue maggots at all. I give them a bash every time I find them but I usually find myself waiting longer for a bite. Sometimes, the bite doesn't come at all.

I'm quite happy with a mix of white and red.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...