Bass. Why I think they are special.

Steve Coppolo

I certainly remember my first Bass like it was yesterday. And that's something for someoe with a memory like mine :D

"Studying" for my GCSE's during study leave time. Dug some Catbait (white rag) and fished L'Eree bay near an outlet pipe. Had no idea what I might catch but knew there was lots of sand. Had been fishing on and off for years as a lad but mostly for kids stuff (i.e. droves of Mackerel, Pollack and Gars from the breakwater). First time I had fished the bay as had just moved down there.

Rod on my homemade rest (three bits of wood my Dad fixed up with some screws so it stood up) sitting enjoying the air and sea when my rods on the ground heading for the sea. By the time I had reacted, wondered where the big gust of wind was and picked my rod up to find a fish on the end. Not a huge fight from what i remember but more than I had expected. Brought in my first Bass to the sand and have to say had the old adrenalin pumping. tried to pick it up avoiding spines (which I thought were pretty obvious sticking up on the top) not knowing there are also spines on the other side and on the gill rakers. One very painful hand later, had it in a bag and took it home (about 3lb it was so nice table size) to prove I had caught something. Comments of were you not studying and what were you doing fishing on study leave reminded me I was supposed to be doing just that!!

Have had lots of Bass since by various methods with big baits, small baits, plugs, spinners etc. Most success has been on the plug with my favorite Storm Jointed Thunderstick (Storm if you're reading please bring them back in Blue/Chrome). Best was 7lb8oz on my spinning rod. Most successful was on the plug as well where I landed 5 fish, all about 4lb in one session of half an hour. Conditions were perfect and I won;t forget what they were, exactly where I was and all that. problem is that that spot has now changed with the sea churning the sand and rocks out.

I need to get back into the Bass and learn what they're up to again, other than having a big party where only the over 18s are invited of the coast of Guernsey. No more mention of that though, there are more than enough commercials upsetting their party at the moment.

That's my ramblings and memories up for now...

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only I could buy live joeys, oh but the person selling them would be a commercial fisherman, dam.

Joeys are best, pout are good as are scad or any live fish realy.

And the bites on live baits are generaly very good, slamers.

It's harder down here to get the joeys than the bass. lol

From my berth is about a 25 mile run to get the joeys and then all the way back struggling to keep them alive to fish locally.

Sandpiper - that is the problem exactly, but with a 1 mile exclusion zone for nets it would no longer be a worry.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

For me bass are special as they are and always will be the anglers fish.

They lend themselves to angling not just because they are easy to catch(as we know the big one are not) but because they can be targeted with many different methods.

Any one can catch a small bass we are lucky and have been bless with global warming and bass thrive in warmer water.

But to catch a decent bass reguarly takes dedicaition, and only anglers of a certain breed have this dedication. This comes with a down side, as most days he will blank and only a stubern angler will presss on to get results.

Bass are special, the rush I get when my live bait rod slams round, the bites bass give are quite spectacular afairs and Ive seen rods take off over the side like exorsets many times.

A realy quite boaring day on a pier can be made into a blinder by a moderate 5 or 6lb bass.

When I was a kid I saw many many double figure bass, and once saw a angler in the late 70s catch his first bass it was an 8lber I was 6 years old and told him it was to small he better let it go.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Talking of joey mackerel, the Minimum Size Limit for mackerel in the North Sea (which includes part of what many think of as the eastern end of the Channel, rather than the North Sea) is a whopping 30cm.

Elswhere it's just 20cm.

See: http://www.nfsa.org.uk/teamcomp/comp_fest/...ck/minsizes.htm

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Yes leon it is but even a 3lb bass would make short work of a 30cm mackeral.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!