winter fishing

the bubster

:wallbash: Please could someone give me some tips on fishing ponds and lakes in winter.This is my first winter season as a coarse fisherman.i enjoyed a fruitful summer of fishing only to have my new hobbie shattered by the winter.i know the fish are still there but cannot get them to bite.ive used feeder and float methods ,boilies,pellets ,caster.i dont want much just the odd fish would be nice .am i fishing the wrong location.i live in the northeast and am member of bwac.but i am having no luck could someone give me some tips on feeding and rigs baits to use etc .it would be much appreciated.

the bubster.

The first thing to try is to scale everything down. On one of my local pools last weekend, I had to go down to a single maggot on a size 20 to 1.5lb hooklength in order to get any bites at all. So long as your tackle is balanced and you're using a rod designed for 1-4lb bs line, you shouldn't get broken if you do latch onto a decent fish.

The other thing to scale down is the amount of feed that you put in. The fish won't be so hungry and a pint of maggots should last you all day (unless they're really having it, which is comparatively rare).

If you have access to any rivers, they can often be more consistent than stillwaters during the winter (especially for chub and roach).

Give us a few more details about how you're fishing and what for. Baits and methods that worked in the summer often "switch off" once the water cools. The first and last hours of daylight are often still the best times, though.

I think Dave's got it absolutely spot on - but he has been fishing a lot longer than me!

Delicate tackle, little bait, knowledge of the water and a lot of hope!

In winters, I much prefer to fish the river - not least because I keep on the move, and therefore, warm.

Occasionally I will fish lakes in the winter, and use micro feeders with lots of flavour and little or no food content, short hooklengths with popped-up baits. to the deepest part of the lake.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

In addition to what Dave has said dont be affraid to move if you cant catch. On still waters especially the fish will be in tight shoals and they wont usually move to far. On Sunday in a Match I caught quite a few carp whilst the guy 10yards to my left did not have a bite. the guy to my right had two bites all day but the guy to his right had a netfull (proverbial net full not literal). We were all using simalar tactics and could see what each other was doing and all 4 of us are match anglers of a good standard. The only differance was that some swims had fish to be caught and some did not.

Edited by A Worm OOE

If like me and you just want to get out and just catch a fish, the perch seem to play ball in winter, bits of chopped worm work well by reeds or trees. But as said before dont be afraid to move swims if you dont get bites from the one you in.

The only thing that would put me off fishing in winter is the wind from the east its all ways been the kiss of death for me, but other on here might not agree.

But then weather you catch or not just enjoy it and remember summers only a few months away now.

:clap2:

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

recently i was fishing a lake and the guys doing the best were using a pole tight to reeds against an island, they were feeding tight using a pole cup. i realised that my float rod is a bit too strong as i was bumping loads of fish off on the strike and next time i go i will take`my 4 meter whip. also i picked a lake that has plenty of small chub and perch in which were very obliging so think about the water you will be fishing.n good luck

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

yup all bang on! scale down , deep water, less or no feed and remember the bites arnt going to be anywere near as obvious as they were in the summer!

luck favours the brave mate :)

ther is a theory that larger baits may work better as the fish has to expel less energy

to get more food in one hit! but dont hold me to it!

Edited by geffaz

yup all bang on! scale down , deep water, less or no feed and remember the bites arnt going to be anywere near as obvious as they were in the summer!

luck favours the brave mate :)

ther is a theory that larger baits may work better as the fish has to expel less energy

to get more food in one hit! but dont hold me to it!

Thanks for the help guys.MUCH appreciated.I have acsess to a couple of rivers so i will scale down an give it ago.i'll find it an try it out.

goodluck for the year

the bubster. :D

Guys. Could do with some help myself. Going to a stretch of river again shortly to target some of the larger roach which go over 2lbs. Want to fish bread for them and just wondered what tactics you would use and also hooklink strengths and size hooks. etc.

Another tip for winter, which I learnt to my cost, try and tie a selection of hook links up the day before. When you first arrive you can easily set up, but 4 hours later sat shivereing in the snow you try tying a decent knot with 1.5lb line and a size 20 hook!

now that is a very practical tip! ive found that out to my cost!

another is take a bit of carpet to put your feet on! you be amazed at the diffrence it makes to your body temp!