winter fishing

the bubster

Guys. Could do with some help myself. Going to a stretch of river again shortly to target some of the larger roach which go over 2lbs. Want to fish bread for them and just wondered what tactics you would use and also hooklink strengths and size hooks. etc.

A man after my own heart after winter roach! I wish you luck, but wouldn't presume to give any advice as my best roach isn't even over 1.5lbs. Do let us know how you get on, though, and it would be interesting to know which river if that isn't secret.

john clarke

now that is a very practical tip! ive found that out to my cost!

another is take a bit of carpet to put your feet on! you be amazed at the diffrence it makes to your body temp!

Top tip geffaz, I suffer badly from cold feet on those cold days, I'll give that one a try.

Andy.

:thumbs: In winter the deepest part of a pond or lake does not always hold the fish.

Two days ago a bloke had over 10lb of roach from the shallows of a club water.

The mild weather has heated the water at the shallow end quicker than the deep end.

I have had two stillwater sessions this year on a mixed species club water and have had to work hard for bites.

The first sesion on Jan 1st was ok and produced plenty of tiddlers on the waggler, I fished one of the only two fishable pegs as all three pools were frozen but this pool had a clear fishable patch.

I only had 15 tiny perch on the second visit using the pole in deep water.

In years gone I have also caught plentry of bream, skimmers, crucians and even tench during mild snaps from stillwaters.

I have fished after breaking ice and watched the pools freeze in front of me on occasions.

I have had the same pinkies in the fridge since the start of last November, they started as a pint and I still have about half a pint left.

Basically I dont use much feed!!!!!!!!!!

My fridge must also be at the perfect temp for the pinkies which are riddled and cleaned twice a week.

I feed very little at this time of year, five to ten pinkies on the pole or waggler line every ten mins.

This may increase or decrease depending on bites.

Also if using the pole a walnut size nugget of low feed groundbait (that has gone twice through a maggot riddle to get rid of lumps) at the start.

If fish respond I may feed another nugget when bites slow up.

I scale down to 1.1lb 0.06mm hooklengths with 22 or 24 mustad longpoint barbless maggot hooks and a single pinkie. I have got some 0.8lb hooklength but have never had to go that low - yet!

Wagglers are insert - size depends on peg and conditions.

I rig it so most of the weight is around the float with a bulk of four no six or eight shot just below half way and a few dropper no 8 below. If I catch on the drop the bulk can be spread, if near the bottom the bulk moved closer to the hook.

Pole rigs - as light as I can get away with. One set up for on the deck using an olivette and a few droppers and one to search the layers with a bulk of 8, 9 or tens that can be used as bulk or spread depending on where I feel the fish are taking the bait.

At this time of year I see every bite on a stillwater as a result and catching a fish a bonus.

It's hard work but you appreciate every bite as you really do have to work for one.

Tie plentry of hooks lengths before you go as its near impossible with these size hooks and lines with cold hands during a session.

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Bubster, you might also be interested in some of the helpful replies in a recent thread 'Big rivers - finding the fish', specially posts 6-8.

:) thanks for the tips.Damn this forum is so cool,all the info u will ever need at ur finger tips.

the bubster.