Perception Freedom Anglers Edition

KFUK

Hi everyone, it's nice to bew back in here at last :thumbs:

I'm going to get that new yak soon that I mentioned last Autumn & have got my eye on the Freedom. It just looks the part for me and in yellow is brilliant. No helicopter would miss that in an emergency, LOL

I just wondered if anyone has one yet, what it's like and how it handles etc. I'm in the process of transferring a card balance to a new one so will have the possibility of spending on the one thing most important to me this year :yeah:

Brighton Canoes have offered me a trial paddle of one but the mileage is just too much for that :( so I need some info on it fast. I have seen the Perception Caster but I don't think it's available over here or maybe it's just another name for the Freedom in the USA ?

Any info is appreciated thanks,

Andy

Andy

KFUK

KFUK - The Perception Freedom is a good kayak - a bit blocky maybe but useful turn of speed, good carrying capacity and soft enough seat to sit side saddle. The cargowell is like the Scupper Pro, tapers, so not quite as cavernous as the P13 - but a better kayak. Like the Pro, she is built for touring, so makes a good distance kayak. I have a friend who has one of the old Freedoms in Plymouth - he swears by it and has had it for several years. I have another acquaintance in N. Wales with one and he circumnavigated Anglesey in 3 days in his - fishing on the way round. A good kayak for the money. Go for it - you pay a lot more for anything better.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

nice looking kayak---if you go to bournemouth canoes web site they have got a picture but I can't manage to post a link to it Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I have a Perception Freedom after the trouble I had with the Prowler 13 scuppers (Johnson handled this well and I am pleased it seems to be sorted now :clap: ). Got a great deal on a nearly new Freedom and it seems nicely made and easy to lift with one hand due to the moulded carry handle. Needs some fitting out with hatches and rod holders still. The small hatch directly behind the seat makes reaching the tankwell abit harder than the prowler.

Do a Google search for "Perception Swing" (the name used for this boat in Australia and the USA) and as Simon said they are well regarded.

As yet I have not paddled it but look forward to chasing the Dorset bass in the spring (great Kimmeridge report Richi and darnsarf, looking forward to getting down there).

Here are a few pics I collected whilst researching (they are not mine)

post-7259-1138048446_thumb.jpg

post-7259-1138048543_thumb.jpg

post-7259-1138048622_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that ollie, I must admit that I hadn't seen all them views of the (freedom) kayak & am put off by the shape of the "hold" area. I think the Prowler has a better design. Looking at the pics there it looks like it's been shaped to lay a diving "oxygen cylinder" on the long narrow bit and the two different parts in one could maybe cause problems.

Time to research it myself I think <_<

Andy

KFUK

Hi Andy

I was asking you about one of these on ukkf ,well i took the plunge and bought one .I bought a freedom surf from desprate measures of Nottingham in the sale ,at £335 plus £20 delivery .It due to arrive on thursday ,cant wait .

Dave.http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/

Edited by garrydog