Boat - Good News.....And Bad

Elton

First of all, I must thank Steve Copollo.

Steve's just been over here and given my outboard the once over, putting up with my constant questions and one lousy cup of coffee. The guy's an absolute gem.

The outboard is all working fine and was running well.

The bad news is that the transom is shot and neds totally replacing. I had my doubts, and these were confirmed by a few tugs on the engine :( It doesn't actually look that difficult (Steve won't believe that, as I looked totally confused when he was telling me. After I went back out and had a look, it all made sense!).

Not having done much with fibreglass over the years, it should be a 'challenge'. I've already spoken to one of my best buddies and his dad is a woodworking God, so the plywood should be a doddle.

I suppose the rest is just a case of 'suck it and see'....

So, if anyone in Suffolk fancies a work party in exchange for some future boat trips, drop me a line :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Elton,

from what I've read in the past, a long chainsaw may come in handy. Seriously, many people have used them to clear out all the rotten ply between the two layers of fibreglass and gelcoat, working from above the transom. From all accounts, done carefully it can save a serious amount of time over re-glassing the entire area.

Guest stevie cop

Don't despair too much Elton. Once the engine is off and the outboard well removed, it'll look much more straight forward. Just have a couple of cold beers and then rip into it with an angle grinder!

Sharkbyte, (is that you Wayne?), the transom has already been repaired/bodged. Whoever did it has already removed the inside layer of glass and a good amount of the plywood. They have, however, only left about 3/4 of an inch of ply and glassed over it, so the transom is only half the thickness that it should be. The inevitable has happened and cracks have appeared. There isn't any strength in the transom as it is now.

[ 25. May 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

Steve,

My mate just came over and I went through what you said and it doesn't look as daunting now. We would like to take a look at your boat asap, please, to clear a couple of small points and to take some photos.

Plan is to get stuck straight in.

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hiya,

been there done that ... got the T shirt :)

The way I done it was to cut the inner transom out completely, leaving the outer bit of fibreglass un touched. This way your not going to have any problems making sure the boat is still water tight :)

A 4" angle grinder cut the glass no problem and was very controllable.

Once the inner glass is removed, you can then remove the rotten wood. I replaced mine with 2 bits of plank the required thickness (cant remember just how thick)

This was then glassed back in & gell coated I then fitted a stainless plate over the transom to give the outboard a solid flat landing. Finally securing the whole lot with bolts through the Mount of the outboard, stainless plate, transom,stainless plate sandwich.

The whole job took a few hours but was well worth it as it ended up the strongest part of the boat :)

[ 25. May 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest stevie cop

No problem Elton, you can come and have a look any time you like. Give me a ring and tell me when you are coming and I'll make sure I'm here.

Adding on from what Davy has said, like I explained to you, you'll have to make sure when you glass the new transom in that you return the glass around the sides of the boat a fair bit, and also along the floor. That is where the strength comes from. You will be able to access it all a lot easier when that outboard well is out of the way.

[ 25. May 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

Steve Coppolo:

Adding on from what Davy has said, like I explained to you, you'll have to make sure when you glass the new transom in that you return the glass around the sides of the boat a fair bit, and also along the floor.  That is where the strength comes from.  You will be able to access it all a lot easier when that outboard well is out of the way.

Thanks Steve.. I had forgot to add that bit :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi Steve, how you doing? thought i'd offer some advice to a fellow wilson / pilot owner. Oh well if the original glassing has been opened up from behind it'll make little difference opening it up again and at least it will get a proper repair this time. Once stuck in these jobs dont take to long. Makes me feel all itchy at the mere mention of a grinder and fibreglass after last years overhaul :D

Fibreglassing is fun but very messy. The great thing is, it sets so quickly you get visible results with hours. Also, the weather is now warm enough so you wont have curing problems. Contact Glasplies, Southport, Lancs 01704 40626 for free info sheets and GRP materials/tools at trade prices. Once you have the knack you'll want to build seats, bait tanks, fish wells, gun turrets... :D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk