Beach Lighting

codroamer

No disrespect to anyone but people spend quite a few hundreds on rods reels etc and go onto the beach with a lame excuse for a light that will let them down just when there striking into that double figure fish of a lifetime when that cheap nasty light lets you down. Spend the extra and get a good reliable headlamp.

A light won't lose you a fish, I caught mine in darkness, but a bright light will help to prevent you catching a good fish by frightening it away. A 10,000 candlepower beam flashing all over the sea wil not help your chances. The bigger the fish the shyer they are, and at night they come right up to the beach under the cover of darkness.

That's why I prefer 1, to be alone, 2 as little light as possible , 3 as quiet as possible.

If you are near a long line of other anglers smashing leads into the sea, with barking dogs etc, you might as well go home.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Chester

I have some clip on 1.5v battery lights for my boat for when I do the occasional night session (its only a little dinghy) The bulbs are very dim, it seemed a good idea to do a swap for leds, how do I know what resistor to use?

PS couldnt see any bulbs like that in Petzls catalogue?

Dan

hi

if you go onto the web a find a company called maplins find a local store and have a chat with someone there they will match your needs up easily and give you the bits right there :thumbs:

k2user

A light won't lose you a fish, I caught mine in darkness, but a bright light will help to prevent you catching a good fish by frightening it away. A 10,000 candlepower beam flashing all over the sea wil not help your chances. The bigger the fish the shyer they are, and at night they come right up to the beach under the cover of darkness.

That's why I prefer 1, to be alone, 2 as little light as possible , 3 as quiet as possible.

If you are near a long line of other anglers smashing leads into the sea, with barking dogs etc, you might as well go home.

cant agree more! alot of my shore fishing depends on stealth (as far as my chosen species bass gose anyway) when i have used tilleys etc i find when i get a take im stumbling out with no night vision

and all i can see is darkness and purple yellow blotches infront of my eyes!

it takes me about 3mins to gain night vision arfter using a mini maglight to bait up etc! (which is hung round my neck and put in my mouth when in yous)

then im happy just looking at the beta,ill even shut my eyes to light the rolly ive just made in the aparent pitch black! probly a throw back from my carping days!

you would be amazed how sensitive your eyes can be when given a chance!

and got to say ive never lost a fish down to not having a search light on my head!

Edited by geffaz

if you go onto the web a find a company called maplins find a local store and have a chat with someone there they will match your needs up easily and give you the bits right there

k2user

Mapilin are brilliant. Had loads of stuff from them.

Will do, cheers! got a feeling i'll be needing more than 1.5 vols tho!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

cant agree more! alot of my shore fishing depends on stealth (as far as my chosen species bass gose anyway) when i have used tilleys etc i find when i get a take im stumbling out with no night vision

and all i can see is darkness and purple yellow blotches infront of my eyes!

it takes me about 3mins to gain night vision arfter using a mini maglight to bait up etc! (which is hung round my neck and put in my mouth when in yous)

then im happy just looking at the beta,ill even shut my eyes to light the rolly ive just made in the aparent pitch black! probly a throw back from my carping days!

you would be amazed how sensitive your eyes can be when given a chance!

and got to say ive never lost a fish down to not having a search light on my head!

Glad you agree, I shall be using the same tactics for Bass all summer. Ah! the thought of summer!

It seemed to work for Cod, with a lifetime best.

I don't have to catch a very big Bass for a lifetime best, as the biggest was only 5lb!

Determined to beat that this year, or have lots of fun trying. :fishing:

Yes, I bet I can catch a bigger pouting than you can :yeah:

Well maybe that was a 19Lb pouting you caught! I think I would prefer a 19Lb pouting cos that would be a record never to be broken again...lol :clap2::yeah:

Enfield North London

Guest sandpipper
Ah but using an electirc lamp means you don't have the toold to make that all improtant pocket warmer. :)

Two lemon sized stones, put them in turns on top of a Tilley lamp then in yer pocket, toastie. :)

I did this once before and by the end of the night i couldnt move had too many stones in my pockets.lol