Novice in need of help

Pompey Matt

Guest conger tamer

NORM

daiwa reels never come with fitted brakes

shonzy had this problem with a sl20 a while ago.

ps,got me san this morn cheers norm

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

I`m not really a shore angler but there are plenty on this forum who are. 15lb line. You will also need a shock leader to prevent break offs and for safety of others. It aint been mentioned yet but I`m sure someone will get back on about it. As I say I`m not a shore angler but from memory its something like 10 times the ounce weight in lbs BS you intend casting, i.e. 5oz lead, 50lb shock leader. Without it the lead becomes a missile and can seriously injure or kill.

A shock leader eh ? Even more confused now.

I always thought you only needed a shock leader if you were fishing rough ground and are after big fish. I didn't know they were used as a safety feature.

Maybe you could explain a bit more to me regarding shock leaders then. I certainly don't understand the safety issue.

Sorry to be a pain :rolleyes:

Matt,

as I said I`m not a particularily competent shore angler and I`m sure others will explain much better.

As an example with 15lb line and say a 5oz lead. When you cast the sheer force of the cast will effectively increase the apparent weight of the lead, I suppose a bit like `G' force. A 5oz lead will easily crack off 15lb line with anything other than a gentle lob. The shock leader is attached to the end of the main line at the business end. At least twice the length of your rod plus a few turns round the reel and a bit for a drop. Suppose three time the rod length would not be far off. As I said others will be able to give you a much better explanation than this. I can tell you about 50 & 80 trolling gear but not beach fishing.

Good luck anyway,,

Stan

You'll need to tie the shock leader on with a special knot(half-hitch grinner) . When i started i brought myself a book of knots , something like "The sea anglers step by step tp Bait and rigs " Again your local tackle man should be able to show you . There is always good advice in the the magazine as well.

The one thing i've learn't from fishing is "Everyday is a school day " You can never stop learning .

When you go fishing and you see fellow anglers about ,start talking to them , they can be a font of information

I went fishing one day and there were some guys casting , after a little chat i was getting casting lesson on the beach , great day didn't catch anything however increased my casting range by about 200%

C T:

NORM

daiwa reels never come with fitted brakes

shonzy had this problem with a sl20 a while ago.

ps,got me san this morn cheers norm

:cool: Well, that shows how long it is since I bought a reel. They used to come with big brake blocks fitted and smaller ones in a tube or bag.

If I go back further, they also had a spares kit and a spanner/screwdiver in a leatherette case or suede bag. :D

Buy a spool of tapered shock leaders between £5 and £7.

You can down load all the knots online from most leading line manufactures sites.

I was using the bimini knot but this time I switched back to a double blood knot as demonstrated by Bushy, works very well and does not collect the weed as much as the bimini.

Place the tapered end of the leader alongside your main line and pull it alongside until both lines are as near as possible the same thickness then tie your preferred knot to join them.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist