Snowbee Prestige XS Fly Lines

fishfinder

I've read a few reviews and articles about this line, which all seem pretty good. I was about to purchase an intermediate and sinker (9 weight), but can't decide between that or a Cortland 444 SL.

can anyone help sway my choice?

I had a Snowbee XS floater and didn't like it. Too limp for my tatses. They are very prone to cracking too. The reason people rave about the XS lines is they have an easy to cast taper, which doesn't necessarily make it a great fishing line in my opinion.

Got one for still waters and casts well when clean, I'd go for the Cortland on the Salt, with so many people using them, they can't all be wrong :D can they :D I got one from Santa, but have yet to get it wet, waiting for my good wife to take in some of my hints for a new reel, somehow she missed that bit at Christmas time, and when the Sales came about.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Like Starvin, I have had an XS for some time in #7. It is a brilliant freshwater line - it has lasted my 8 seasons now (don't know where this cracking has come from - unless the early ones were better). However, for the salt I would suggest you get the 444SL Ghost Tip. I have found I only really NEED that one line. It is a floater with 15 feet of clear intermediate on the end. If you need anything else afterwards, just add what you think you need to add. But I bet you will find the ghost tip will do you for 85% of situatins - I just go with it for the other 15% and make do!

I must admit, with my new #10 I am getting the same intermediate tip, but a spare in a depth charge (after MJB advised he likes using the ghost tip for surface flies!) Thanks Martin. You saved me getting a floater which I don't need!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

10 wt, you got some of them there Tope flies knocking about. :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I fish a floating Snowbee XS 80% of the time in the salt. Has lasted nearly 2 seasons, so not sure about the 'cracking' thing. They cast well with minimum of effort. I didn't like the 444SL Ghost-tip, which is why I gave mine to Martin. It seemed to coil in the cold and the slicky coating made the line slip thru my hands when I was hauling. Each to his/her own I guess. Either line will do you.

JRT

Not trying to tell those in the know how to suck eggs......but for the newer users of fly fishing gear, washing of the lines after every trip is a must, this may also help prevent or slow down the cracking.

To help avoid the coiling of the lines, be sure to stretch them before use.

If a line feels feels sticky going through the eyes its proberbly dirty.

Not an expert, but this may help someone.

I have the prestige xs in an 8 floater and I'm afraid after less than a season in the salt it was cracking and feeling a bit rough despite cleaning after every trip.

It does seem to tangle a lot more than any other lines I've used I think mainly because it has quite a thin running line. Just my opinion but for the money there must be better lines about. :)

nifty.

This is a bit odd...i have had a Snowbee XS for about one and a half seasons SWFF and have had no trouble with it at all.

I go at least twice a week From April - November/December, and my only complaint about the line would be that it needs regular dressing to keep it slick...but then again in salt, what line doesen't :rolleyes:

At the moment i'm trying Rio's Outbound lines, and so far theese suit my needs better.

Couldn't get on with Cortland's SL lines at all...in fresh or saltwater.

Most of the time i find i use an intermediate line for most situations, so the floater isn't in constant use, but it does get a regular airing. :blink:

Dave :)

Hi Mike,

I first heard of Rio's Outbound line from Juro's US site.

Jamie brought my first one back from the Cape in the summer, and i've been sold on them ever since.

I know you like them and use them alot....in fact our voices are the main two singing there praise, though Nemo has one now i believe. Just recieved a 7# version which is waiting for a field test :clap2:

Back to the XS lines .......if you look after it wash and dress it every trip, i think it performs very well.

Dave :)