Undersize codling petition

Guest @Winter@

.......your comparison of boats there is quite wrong, the old coal burning trawlers and the Icelandic fleet of the early 1900's were quite capable of catching large quantities of cod, perhaps you could explain why they went to Iceland instead of Whitby?

They went 'high altitude' fishing because ther wasn't enough cod left in the North Sea to support the industry. Around 1880 following the discovery of the Silver Pits there were around 400 smacks working out of Hull, by 1896 there was around 200 steam trawlers, by 1936 there were very few working the North Sea but the Hull trawling fleet stood at around 300 vessels.... and now .... speaks for itself.

Edited by johhno

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello big cod

Did I say there were no cod In the 30's? are cod almost exstinct at Whitby then? I know you keep on about huge catches in the past, with anglers comeing back up to their knees in fish no doubt they did at times.

I can remember fishing on Whitby charter boats during the early 70's and not catching anything special or any amount of cod, 20 or 30 was the norm for most trips, much the same as it is for you now.

Wurzel let me tell you something what happened in the very early eighties a couple of trawlers out of whitby during the summer yes these were part of the whitby trawler fleet provider and achieve actually amassed an army of lads with rods to jigging or pirking as you call it ,ask yourself why was that the anser the water was cristal clear and the boats didnt have the power to catch the cod with the trawl it was thick with them on the 3 mile practicley every drop you got 3 at a time angling boats were having a banazza these boats could catch more cod with a rod and line than with the trawl but it didnt last long the big engines arrived on the scene soon after never saw a trawler jigging again, as for the seventies it beggers belief has much fish there was then most boats were using mussell in them days and most only did 6 hour trips just at the back of the buoy but i can assure you there was more fish in the 70ss than there was in the 80ss ,90ss it has just got less and less with the presure of commercial fishing.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Big Cod

i can assure you there was more fish in the 70ss than there was in the 80ss ,90ss

I agree, same happened in this area.

but was there more 50 years earlier? there wasn't in this area.

are cod nearly extinct ?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello johno

The silver pits was a dover sole fishery.nothing what so ever to do with cod.

Didn't say it was, just using it as a marker for the growth of Hull and the growth of it's trawler fleet which at one time was the pre-eminent fleet, and now ................

Guest binatone
Wurzel let me tell you something what happened in the very early eighties a couple of trawlers out of whitby during the summer yes these were part of the whitby trawler fleet provider and achieve actually amassed an army of lads with rods to jigging or pirking as you call it ,ask yourself why was that the anser the water was cristal clear and the boats didnt have the power to catch the cod with the trawl it was thick with them on the 3 mile practicley every drop you got 3 at a time angling boats were having a banazza these boats could catch more cod with a rod and line than with the trawl but it didnt last long the big engines arrived on the scene soon after never saw a trawler jigging again, as for the seventies it beggers belief has much fish there was then most boats were using mussell in them days and most only did 6 hour trips just at the back of the buoy but i can assure you there was more fish in the 70ss than there was in the 80ss ,90ss it has just got less and less with the presure of commercial fishing.

Hi wurzel

Big cods statement above is accurate as to what they where doing but again am afraid to say inaccurate as to why.

The two boats that he mentions where part of the trawling fleet but where day boats.

Most of the boats (then) at that time of year use two go with the ropes.

Unfortunately for some reason there was nothing doing with the ropes (but as it turned out they ended up having a good end of season with the ropes) as you will know that when the water is very clear (in the height of summer) like it was then you only do (generally) any good in the dark. These boats where day boats and therefore did not like to work in the dark. Silly you might think, but that was the mentality.

They had a go at pair trawling and did ok but again it meant putting to much time in at sea so they gave up on that as quickly as they had started.

Hence let’s go jigging. And there’s nothing wrong with that as I have always said that the most successful commercial fishermen I have ever met are the ones who are prepared to flexible at what they do.

I was not working on a day boat at the time but we did have a go jigging and did ok.

We where getting somewhere in the rejoin of 40 kit for your two hauls (with the trawl) in the dark and about a basket for your day light hauls.

We use to have two hauls (in the dark) and in.

Most summers are the same, so big cod is correct there where trawlers jigging but that’s the reason why.

As for winters photos of the boats of yesteryear and the boat of today. The boat of today has never (intentionally) caught a cod and never will. It was designed and built for the pelagic fishery unlike the boats from the past.

Edited by binatone

Guest @Winter@

Shame there isnt a way to post a topic up and ban certain people from posting on it.

I see the black dog is back Paul. Is it Blacker than yours ?

Hello Binatone

I remeber the Provider, I can't rember the skippers name just that he was a gentelman, and always had time for a chat to a southern foreigner.

Over the years boats all over have turned to jigging during the summer months, at one time most of the Lowestoft lineing fleet were at it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest binatone
Hello Binatone

I remeber the Provider, I can't rember the skippers name just that he was a gentelman, and always had time for a chat to a southern foreigner.

Over the years boats all over have turned to jigging during the summer months, at one time most of the Lowestoft lineing fleet were at it.

Wurzel.

Am just pleased that someone on here is not letting them get away with so much crap when it comes to commercial fishing, that at times I laugh so much I could cry.

I whish they would stick to there angling, they are very interesting threads and I learnt from them. Which is great, what it’s all about...?

Just because you’ve been sat with a rod in your hands for forty years watching boats go up and down the coast. Doesn’t mean you know what there doing on them boats or why they are doing it.

Cheers wurzel, keep her east.