Undersize codling petition

Guest @Winter@

Angling is a blood sport same as fox hunting yet the government ban one and not the other why's that?

Because if angling was considered to be cruel, and banned, there is one thing that people hate more than cruelty in sport, and that's cruelty for the purpose of greed and profit.

It wouldn't take the anti's too long to latch onto the fact that far more fish die in horrible ways at the hands of commercial fishing practices than at the hands of anglers.

'Murdering bastards who make their living and torturing fish'

I don't think you want to go there Steve!

(It's interesting that the Sneddon report was looking to prove that fish feel pain in an attempt to bring in the introduction of humane killing of fish in fish farms, i.e stunning them first. Imagine having to stun every one of a netful of sprats before they die 'in distress' :o )

(Even the moves to ban livebaiting in angling could have horrendous repurcussions for the fishing industry once the principle is established that fish may suffer and therfore need protection from suffering imposed by man's activities)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for missing the joke Newt. Given past track record of these 2 it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it wasnt a joke. But no worries I arent so easily intimidated.

Cheers for the support Stavey it's much appreciated. How did you come on with wwf. I spoke to sea angler but I dont really expect any help.

No problems winter, i am waiting for an email to see what their campaign department etc want to do with the petition ie,send the info-link out to their thousands of members or put it on their website? either way i am hoping they will do something to inform their members of it, i have had comfirmation that they received it and they did like it :thumbs: so soon as i know anything i will pm you cheers............

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Because if angling was considered to be cruel, and banned, there is one thing that people hate more than cruelty in sport, and that's cruelty for the purpose of greed and profit.

It wouldn't take the anti's too long to latch onto the fact that far more fish die in horrible ways at the hands of commercial fishing practices than at the hands of anglers.

'Murdering bastards who make their living and torturing fish'

I don't think you want to go there Steve!

(It's interesting that the Sneddon report was looking to prove that fish feel pain in an attempt to bring in the introduction of humane killing of fish in fish farms, i.e stunning them first. Imagine having to stun every one of a netful of sprats before they die 'in distress' :o )

(Even the moves to ban livebaiting in angling could have horrendous repurcussions for the fishing industry once the principle is established that fish may suffer and therfore need protection from suffering imposed by man's activities)

Hi Leon

We will see

Well done Winter link added to our clubs website www.pbsbac.co.uk :thumbs:

I must say it makes a pleasant change to see rsa's and commercials on here having not to dissimilar viewpoints and not squablling, well to much anyways :sun:)

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

Guest binatone
Typical symptomatic commercial speech. I think it is a cronic disease. 'Good suggestion, I might even support it but sorry I cannot for this or that reason.' Empty talks.

How long is it to open a hotmail account free of charge? 3 or 4 minutes?

Fishing’s fine.

You seam to know what is typical of a commercial fisherman. My post was supporting winter and his campaign. Is it that I did not think that it would work the typical thing? Was it the fact that I said I would not sign the typical thing? Or was it that I tried to have a joke with him at what you must of thought was at the cost of a vote, the typical thing?

I hope that his petition hit’s the mark and makes those at DEFRA sit up and listen.

If it does he will have achieved something that an entire industry has been trying to do for years, make them listen but what would be more astonishing would be to make them act.

Stavey. I know how enthusiastic you are with your courses and I really do respect you for it.

But please don’t get to enthusiastic on this one (not that it’s not a good cause) because I don’t think that anglers signing up to it will do it any good.

What winter wants to do is get commercial fishermen (namely from the north east) to put pressure on defra to recognise the problem (if there is one) and act with the correct understanding that could make it beneficial to all concerned.

Problem is that winter has burned so many bridges with commercials that I somehow don’t think that Arnold locker would be the first to sign.

Fishing’s fine.

You seam to know what is typical of a commercial fisherman. My post was supporting winter and his campaign. Is it that I did not think that it would work the typical thing? Was it the fact that I said I would not sign the typical thing? Or was it that I tried to have a joke with him at what you must of thought was at the cost of a vote, the typical thing?

I hope that his petition hit’s the mark and makes those at DEFRA sit up and listen.

If it does he will have achieved something that an entire industry has been trying to do for years, make them listen but what would be more astonishing would be to make them act.

Stavey. I know how enthusiastic you are with your courses and I really do respect you for it.

But please don’t get to enthusiastic on this one (not that it’s not a good cause) because I don’t think that anglers signing up to it will do it any good.

What winter wants to do is get commercial fishermen (namely from the north east) to put pressure on defra to recognise the problem (if there is one) and act with the correct understanding that could make it beneficial to all concerned.

Problem is that winter has burned so many bridges with commercials that I somehow don’t think that Arnold locker would be the first to sign.

Well binatone, what can i say? all this lobbying politicians by rsa's and commercials! from the way that you are putting it over? its all a complete waste of time then, i suppose a lot of it is, and we are all flogging a dead donkey so to speak, and even if we were to settle our differences and lobby together on something we could both agree on? it still would be a waste of time, so it does'nt matter to you from now on if rsa's did not consider the commercial fishermen what so ever in any future proposals? as they might as well start campaigning for a ban on all commercial activities whithin the whole of our 12 mile limit, as most of our fish comes from abroad it would not take to much effort to fill what little void this would create.

No even if the above was possible binatone? deep down you know recrational sea anglers are not like that! infact we are very similar and are not unlike in many ways, we may vary individually like myself, i put every single fish i catch back as you know! but other rsa's take a few back for their supper, commercials take their fish to pay for their keep, we are all fully entitled to our fare share and we all want the same thing and that is fish to catch.

We rsa's are not happy catching undersized fish and so we are exercising our rights to do something about it, it is a shame that relationship's between commercials and some rsa's in your neck of the woods binatone are beyond patching up (i realy mean that) i wish i had somebody from the commercial industry in my area on this forum! but the fishermen from around here dont know what a computer looks like let alone know how to use one, and that is not meant as a slight, its just that they are very much still stuck in their old ways, but there kids are not so atleast their is hope for the future, maybe not in commercial fishing though? cheers...........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest @Winter@

Bridges Burnt ? Dont think there ever was a bridge they knocked it down themselves when they thought it was ok to take all that cod out of the sea illegally.

I'm happy with a few names on a petition from anglers who care about their sport, the environment, and the future. If I saw such a name on my petition I would enter the administration of the petition and remove it as such a name would surely end any credibility the petition has. Do you think Defra would listen to someone who has such disrespect for the seas and fish that swim there, someone with convictions (not just 1) for breaking the rules defra uphold. If I were to target any commercial fishermen it would be those who care. There are a few, we have discussed them before, one I think has the surname Cole.

Have any of them ever been fined for landing undersized fish?

When we were at Whitby Arnold was one of the skippers useing larger meshes, he never landed any rounders at that time, it was always good quality fish fetching top prices, I am sure Haward Loker who was skipper of the Sophie at the time was on the same scheme, more days at sea in return for useing bigger meshes.

It was our pathetic government under pressure from even more pathetic Ices and the EU Commission that over turned that common sence and reversed it, so now if you use bigger meshes you are handicaped with LESS days allowed at sea.

You are very wrong on this one Winter, instead of listening to Whitby pub gossip, which is about the worst I have ever experienced, you should sit down with Arnold and get the true facts.I boubt you've got the balls.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest @Winter@

Believe me I have the balls but not the desire. Between the few of you on here you seem to hold such individuals up as some sort of a god, someone full of knowledge that no other person could ever hold. Someone who you should respect. I dont know how such people aquired such status, cash perhaps. When it comes down to respecting someone and valuing their opinion I obviously look for something different in a person than you do. On this one as we have done so many times in the past I shall agree to disagree.