Strange Pike attacks

RUDD

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'd waited for a run I'm sure that fish would have been deep hooked. I was using an alarm as well as a float, and that didn't beep once.

Sure enough I have had several occasions when the float shows signs of movement but not a sound has come from the bite alarm. If the float is moving then by all accounts the fish should have the bait in its mouth so why wait for the alarm to go off? I do remember one occasion last year when I didn’t hook a fish when the above happened, however I put the bait back in the same place and after about five minutes I had another indication on the float and subsequently caught a fish just under sixteen pounds.

Sure enough I have had several occasions when the float shows signs of movement but not a sound has come from the bite alarm. If the float is moving then by all accounts the fish should have the bait in its mouth so why wait for the alarm to go off? I do remember one occasion last year when I didn’t hook a fish when the above happened, however I put the bait back in the same place and after about five minutes I had another indication on the float and subsequently caught a fish just under sixteen pounds.

if you have a take,be it movement of the float or teh alarm just blurting into life,....set the hooks.

i had a fish at the beginning of october last year,didnt set the alarm off or pull out the drop off clip,i just caught sight of the float twitch and waver slightly,i unclipped the drop off wound down and struck...she went 16+ too :thumbs:

always be alert,always keep ya eyes open!

strange really,why hit feeders and floats?...i think they are just switched on at the time in full on feedeing mode,ie anything comes close...bang! i'm eating that!

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

if you have a take,be it movement of the float or teh alarm just blurting into life,....set the hooks.

i had a fish at the beginning of october last year,didnt set the alarm off or pull out the drop off clip,i just caught sight of the float twitch and waver slightly,i unclipped the drop off wound down and struck...she went 16+ too :thumbs:

always be alert,always keep ya eyes open!

strange really,why hit feeders and floats?...i think they are just switched on at the time in full on feedeing mode,ie anything comes close...bang! i'm eating that!

It could be that they're actively hunting and hit whatever happens to 'swim' past them. On a lake I fish, they often hit boilies on the retrieve. I'm sure that in this case it's because they're desperately hungry because the catfish have eaten everything else. I did manage to land one without it biting me off and the poor thing was very skinny.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It could be that they're actively hunting and hit whatever happens to 'swim' past them. On a lake I fish, they often hit boilies on the retrieve. I'm sure that in this case it's because they're desperately hungry because the catfish have eaten everything else. I did manage to land one without it biting me off and the poor thing was very skinny.

I wish I knew how to post a picture then I could show a near 10b pike I took on double maggot, 18 hook to 1.5bs hook length, it was lip-hooked, taken while I was fishing for roach. Took about 10mins to land in open water no snags.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John