feeder fishin

thuramario

Using shot (or the old fashioned style of ledger stop even!) weakens the line quite a bit.The modern non toxic shot (being much harder) is even worse. I think its far better to use a bead (to protect the knot) and swivel to stop the feeder/ledger and tie your hook length to this as well.

John also asked what BS reel line you are using.This is quite important as feeder fishing is a lot harder on the mainline than say float fishing.

5lb line, 4lb hooklength

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be fine.I would place my bet on it being the way you are using shot as a stop.

so what r these beads and how do i use them, if i bead over the not i will still need two shots (one either side) to hold the bead in place, wouldnt i?

Sorry Ive confused you a bit! Let me explain this way,

Slide your feeder or ledger weight on to your main line,then slide on a soft rubber bead then tie on a swivel.Slide the rubber bead down so it covers and therefore protects the knot from the feeder/ledger weight.

Tie on the hook length of your choice (it should always be of a lower BS than your main line) to the swivel.Then obviously your hook.

Any clearer? This gives you a "running" rig and that is the most suitable one for most general situations.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sorry Ive confused you a bit! Let me explain this way,

Slide your feeder or ledger weight on to your main line,then slide on a soft rubber bead then tie on a swivel.Slide the rubber bead down so it covers and therefore protects the knot from the feeder/ledger weight.

Tie on the hook length of your choice (it should always be of a lower BS than your main line) to the swivel.Then obviously your hook.

Any clearer? This gives you a "running" rig and that is the most suitable one for most general situations.

Here's a picture to go with Budgies post.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/1684

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks John thats the one.Picture better than a thousand words as they say.

Thuramario, have you looked at the other rigs on the AN Rig page?Some feeder ones shown there including Steve Randles excellent "safe" version of the double loop rig.Shown here-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Le...y_loop_rig.html

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i think he's doing what i used to - feed the feeder straight onto the mainline and put 2 shot either side of it to lock it in place. you're probably snagging something bringing it back and as it's unable to move up the line, its snapping the line by the feeder. either get a snap swivel and some rig tube or use a patenoster :P

whats a snap swivel and how does it work?

appreciate the links guys but even more confused (i usualy get it eventually so not to worry), so i have printed out the rig and am takin it to my local shop, im sure once i see it done b4 my eyes i will be all over it like flies..., well ya know the rest. cheers.

Yesterday I had my first sitting down type fishing session in years. Increasingly I find roaming lure fishing very difficult, I can still lure fish from the boat but can't launch it and get it back inthe the trailor on my own. So I made a comeback to feeder fishing targeting Roach, complete with new rod, landing net, selection of feeders and groundbait. I fished a lake, the swim 15 foot deep ledge about 30 yards out. My rig was just like the one Gosser posted (http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/1684) except that, given the depth I used an openend rather than a cage feeder. Bites came fairly quickly after I had emptied a few feeders into the target area, and they were coming to the three hookbaits I had selected, maggots, sweetcorn, redworms and combinations if these. I did catch a few fish including a couple of Roach around the 1Lb mark. However I failed to hook most of the bites. Do you think that I would have done better with the feeder on a longer link? That was the method I used to use for feeder fishing both rivers and stillwaters. I liked the idea of a simpler rig (like the one in the diagram) but couldn't help thinking about angles and depths, the ratio of the distance x depth fished, and that perhaps the power of my strike was diminished as it had to share the power to the hook point with a clunky weighted feeder, wheras with a long feeder link the fish would be hooked while the feeder was still sitting on the lake bed.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The above was a request for some advice, so what is it, you don't know whether the feeder would be better on a longer link, ir you don't want to say? :huh:

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"