Centrepin for sea fishing

Paulg

I've a 5.5" diameter Leeds centrepin, originally bought for trotting in rivers, but have now replaced it with something better. Question is, as this pin is quite big, could I use it for sea fishing, thinking along the lines of very light boat stuff, for the likes of Black Bream ?

Has anyone tried this ?

Cheers,

Paul

Don't see why it wouldn't do nicely.

One of the favorite surf reels used in OZ (Alvey) is very similar to a pin.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have an old centerpin I use inshore boat fishing, infact as a kid I used to beach cast with it! It isnt a side turning alvey but does have a clutch, I still use it from time to time as the contact with the fish is so direct, I cant remember who made it will have a look in the garage, I think its a something Star? So give it a go, and tell me where you catch your bream! I havent seen any inshore for years!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Hi Dan,

Re Black Bream, I don't get them inshore, but not very far off the south coast. I know an excellent charter skipper in Littlehampton.

Regards,

Paul

Its probably worth a try for light boat fishing inshore.

I would also suggest water thats not too deep. Its suprising how long it takes to wind in 100+ of line on a centrepin.

Dan, Black Bream have been making quite a recovery along the South Coast IMO.

Good catches from Brighton, Weymouth (Lulworth side) and ditto Littlehampton.

All from the boat and not too far out.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

went out with a skipper from littlehampton the chap was surley after getting stuck on a sandbank just outside the river ,got to the mark where he disapeared into the cabin not to reappear untill we went home ,great day not, went from langstone from that day hence.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interesting..... if they are around the Weymouth area I guess they'll be around my end of Dorset too, any hints on preferred methods?!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com