Artists amaze me

Newt

The Holly Hill master potter (see our website if you want details) is in the process of loading his main kiln with pieces that have already been bisque fired (baked would be the word us non-potters would think of) at around 1500ºF -815ºC for about 18 hours to completely dry and harden it.

He then paints on one or more glaze colors and then fires it at a higher temperature for around 3 days to melt the glaze material and then let it cool to it's final form. The change in apperance amazes me. This particular kiln load of pottery will be glaze fired at around 2300ºF - 1260ºC.

Here is an apple/onion baking dish that has the glaze applied and is ready to be fired. The base is white which will pretty much stay white and just become glossy. The others will be completely transformed in color and will run/drip some as they melt.

apple-baker-before.jpg

And here is a mug that was done in a previous run using the same colors applied in the same pattern.

tri-mug.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just make sure she understands that when she becomes rich and famous, she will be expected to support you in the lifestyle to which you intend to become accustomed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It is a true art form Newt. Watching a potter at his wheel creating stuff pulls my string :) Glassblowing does the same to me as well. Each to his own I suppose.

Cannot imagine anyone watching me tying lures would get too enthralled though!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

And you would never have to worry about any paint or fumes or anything coming off into your food after they have been 'cooked' at those temperatures would you. Very interesting.

I love to watch those street painters. I watched a guy using just paint, newspaper which he crushed up and just pressed onto the paper to make planets, and sticks to make stars, and he came up with one off masterpieces, that took 5 minutes, and then flogged them for $30.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

I am so jealous of guys who can paint/draw. It has to be a natural gift. I am sure I could be "taught" to a basic level but thats about it. Will never do a masterpiece :(

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Newt, I shall have to check the dates of Chatsworth Angling Show, its on when you are over here. The show is good but Chatsworth House is out of this world when it comes to art. Every room, even the bogs, are full of sheer artistic excellence, especially of interest to potters! Its one of the treasure houses of the world, let alone England. You could dump Jan off at the House where she can wallow in art, you can rummage the show and wallow in angling, and meet a few ANers in the beer tent.

And you would never have to worry about any paint or fumes or anything coming off into your food after they have been 'cooked' at those temperatures would you. Very interesting.

Tracy, the pottery is perfectly safe to use for eating and cooking. We have quite of few pieces here at the house that our potter as generously given us. I've been experimenting with baking and getting pictures/recipes for our pottery cookbook. We've had everything from baked chicken to a small birthday cake I made for Newt. The smaller pieces make great breads that have a lot of crust - something I fancy big time.

Every room, even the bogs, are full of sheer artistic excellence, especially of interest to potters! Its one of the treasure houses of the world, let alone England. You could dump Jan off at the House where she can wallow in art, you can rummage the show and wallow in angling, and meet a few ANers in the beer tent.

Sounds fantastic to me Peter. Let's hope the dates coincide. But as to "dumping" me off - I bruise easily. Promise you'll slow the car to at least 15 mph before dumping me out? :yeah: