How do zander manage to thrive in some UK waters?

Newt

Based on information from Here about walleye habitat and especially breeding grounds, I have to wonder how Zander have managed to get a decent foothold in the UK. Any thoughts?

Walleye are most common in larger lakes (more than 500 acres) and the larger river systems of the state and are not common in lakes under 100 to 200 acres in size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The most important spawning habitat in lakes is wind-swept gravel and cobble shorelines. Walleyes may spawn on rock reefs away from shore if the bottom surface consists of clean rock or gravel. Shallow water is preferred because wave action is able to keep the rock surface clean and many crevices form between rocks. The eggs initially stick to the rock surface until they become water hardened. The eggs then fall into crevices between rocks where they are protected from predation and abrasion.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Most of the zander in this country live in rivers - oh, and they're not walleye!

Exactly, their spawning habits are quite different.

Zander spawn in shallow water, usually amongst emergent plants such as Reed (Phragmites) or Reedmace (Typha) although they can also spawn over shallow-water gravel. Preferred temperature for spawning is 12-15C. I suspect walleye will spawn at a lower temperature (any ideas what that is Newt? Your link does not mention a figure)

The eggs stick to the plant stems.

One of the first bits of watercraft one learns in the UK is that reedmace grow in silty areas - (BTW do you have reedmace in the States?)

Your link says that walleye eggs perish over sandy or silty bottoms. Zander eggs obviously do not.

Walleye were introduced into the Gt Ouse in the mid 1920s. Around 1934 one of about 11lb was caught. (has anyone got more precise details of times and weights?) Unlike the zander, the walleye does not seem to have bred successfully - almost certainly for the lack of suitable spawning areas.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

OI OI

well i recon that's you told then newt, walleye my a##e lol

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI

well i recon that's you told then newt, walleye my a##e lol

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

i think the previous answers sum it up newt. zander aint walleye, they are completely different species and thrive and perish in different environments.

its important to remember that zander, though not native to britain, are native to eastern and northern europe and thrive in water that is coloured or opaque, this suggests that to get this colour that there would be some type of sedimentry matter on the bottom, silt or clay. i dont think its a great suprise that they have done well in the fen drains as there is a certain amount of colour in most of the drains for most of the year and most are not actually that silty as they are predominantly clay.

the spread of Zander through this country actually shows that they are a supremely adaptable species, after all already oin the 43 years in this country they are present in drains, gravel pits, clay pits, slow sluggish rivers, fast flowing gravel bedded rivers and reservoirs. i would consider their spread a real success story, others think differently, but the popularity of the species in this country is really taking off i am pleased to say, after all whatever else you may think about them, they are a stunning looking fish and i still get a buzz catching one, regardless of sizze.

long may it continue.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Interesting differences. Appearance is near identical and they are certainly closely related.

Thanks gents. Good information and clears up some wrong ideas I had.

This bit from Vagabond

The eggs stick to the plant stems.
is probably the key difference that allows zander to survive since the walleye eggs are free-floating and get lost in mud so they never hatch.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President