News of the World

Scotty T

Ah if ever a thread wants canning mods then there is clearly and argument going nowhere here!

Yoxer - the comparison wasn't that the wars were the same - it was that a soldiers duty is to do as he is told without question. It's part of the job. I didn't direct compare WWII to the Gulf Conflicts - I am not that stupid - but the role of soldiers hasn't changed much over the past 60 years (you are sent to a place, you are told what to do, end of).

At the end of the day the fact a guy is prepared to do that - some with families with young children - and lets remember - over 100 have died - is commendable NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT. As I've said, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder regarding the war - which I can understand (I don't fully agree with the war myself), but what I must object to is people sitting at computers typing shite about soldiers when they know sweet FA about what a soldier goes through.

Do you honestly believe the average soldier gives a monkies about oil or the cause of Bush/Blair??? No - they do their job because it's their job.

Honestly Yox, lets pull a poll on this one - Would you prefer to have armed forces or not?? If the answer is yes then ALL soldiers serving in Iraq deserve your respect - they are men doing a job which as a nation we have asked them to do (indirectly, but the British population put TB in charge!!). Now if you would rather not have any armed forces the chances are neither of us would be here to debate this, since we would have been overrun by invaders long ago.

I'd be ashamed if I'd made some of the comments you have Yox - and I am only 26 years old and could probably get away with making such statements!

Ian W

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh the circle continues.

No - to me and you Yox it is entirely bloody ridiculous. I quite like a nice warm house, with central heating, Internet connection a 9 to 5 job, and all that shite.

What I won't do is slate decent men who have in the past (and will continue to do so) defend our country. As I said, when you join up you cannot pick your wars and conflicts in advance, and clearly some are going to be more politically motivated than others BUT the soldier is not at fault for choosing where to go, and your comment about a soldier walking out and potentially facing a bullet being stupid is just ignorance to the extreme.

The soldier doesn't care about oil remember their code is more based on their fellow soldiers and country. You can believe that or not, but as I said, in WWII thousands upon thousands of British soldiers died in just one day for that belief (some under duress I appreciate) - if that happened tomorrow you'd rather it was them than you, so give the guys a f*cking break.

Ian W

So lets get this quite clear then . Being continuously and systematicaly decieve into going to another country to dictate someone elses will on the population of that country and risk getting killed yourself dosnt seem stupid to you ?

With risk of repeating myself:

No - to me and you Yox it is entirely bloody ridiculous. I quite like a nice warm house, with central heating, Internet connection a 9 to 5 job, and all that shite.

However, would you say that to a soldier, or to the British public openly? The difference between you and I is whilst I don't understand it - I can respect it.

I think our lads (and lasses) do a good job on the whole - by all means question their masters.....I'd be more than happy to see the back of New Labour!

Ian W

No it is not rediculous it is stupidity. Do you think for 1 moment you would of had those soldiers enlisting if they had known of the deceit in this matter . Do you think they would of said , oh thats ok then we'll just go and bomb the feck out of countless thousands and risk our own lives for .........for what was it again exactly

With respect Yoxer these men went into war on the premise that the guy had nuclear weapons that they were led (wrongly) to believe were a potential threat. Argue about that all day, but thats what the soldiers did....that was not stupid (in fact if Saddam did have the weapons, the soldiers potentially could have took the brunt of it!).

The fact that they stay and finish a job, even when they may be disillusioned with why they are there is a testament to their commitment to their job. Don't think for one moment that the soldiers couldn't force the goverment to pull them back - they have the numbers to make the difference.

Also don't be fooled into thinking no troops means no violence. Iraq will end up like the Israel/Palestine conflict where different factions will always argue over who owns what part of the country, probably in this instance with regards to oil rights.

You cannot win Yoxer - call soldiers stupid all day - you'll only push yourself into a very awkward corner. With respect you seem to gloss over my points in order to provoke argument.....

Ian W

Guest Brumagem Phil

War IS stupid......and thats a FACT!

Think for a moment.......how many millions of people died in the first wars yet we are now all friends. Same goes for just about any conflict you car to mention.

Thousands or millions die then we become friends again........the ultimate in stupidity.