Des Taylors Usual Tripe?

Sharkbyte

And another thing.....

If you put into the pot, you can expect help. If you don't then suffer in silence.

Angling Times Feb 14th 2006

Thats fair enough, but who's going to garentee we are going to get help :g: All I've seen to this point is a lot of 'hot air and red tape'. I dont complain about the lack of fish in my area, I just get on with whats avaliable. However, I get a lot of flack from certain members on this site because I enjoy my fishing and my boat. There is a lot of 'gum smacking' going on on bothe sides it seems to me :angry:

I've said it befor and I'll say it again, when its sorted I'll do what is required, in the mean time, I have a life to live. There is more in life than fishing, ask my Hazel . . . ? :help:

CJS2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliff with respect if you are not willing to complain about the state of our fish stocks then how do you think things are ever going to get better.

Or do you think its ok to sit on the side lines while people like Steve Coppolo, Tom Pinborough and my Dad try and get things changed.

If things do change then would you pay a rod lisence? or are you content with catch just little codling and little bass, I am not haveing a dig but we can all have our heads in the sand.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Mr Taylor assumes that it is us that needs the help. Surely it is the ever diminishing stocks of mature fish that need help.

With respect Steve, there is an undercurrent of feeling that a the lions share of licence revenue is allocated to game fisheries.

On another point, while some signs have been put up in certain areas in Polish about needing a licence and taking fish stocks there is very little else being done to implement this, it is a difficult call to enforce.

I can understand the reluctence of sea anglers to pay to fish coastal water when commercial trawlers from all over the globe can and do scrape up whatever they come across, retain for sale or discard after selecting the 'prime cut' , dead, and back into the sea.

Iceland got it right with their exclusion zone and protected stocks.

I know of a fisheries manager that solves the problem of any fish thefts by regular petroles by big friendly blokes with very big friendly dogs. His fisheries now have a good reputation for not having any fish stolen and for being peacfull!

Maybe part of the sea angling lisence could pay me to patrole the in shore fishery photoegrafing any dody fishing activities!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

With respect Steve, there is an undercurrent of feeling that a the lions share of licence revenue is allocated to game fisheries.

On another point, while some signs have been put up in certain areas in Polish about needing a licence and taking fish stocks there is very little else being done to implement this, it is a difficult call to enforce.

I can understand the reluctence of sea anglers to pay to fish coastal water when commercial trawlers from all over the globe can and do scrape up whatever they come across, retain for sale or discard after selecting the 'prime cut' , dead, and back into the sea.

Iceland got it right with their exclusion zone and protected stocks.

I see where you are coming from, but the resevoir trout anglers buy exactly the same licence as the carp angler in order to fish. (I'm not talking about salmon and sea trout licences.) If you say the money isn't spent fairly across the board, I'm not going to argue with you. But that's an issue for the course licence and is seperate from the sea licence issue. In my opinion, the EA have made drastic improvements to course angling waters since the introduction of the licence. I was course angling in the days when polution, weed and disease were far bigger problems than they are now.

Unfortunately the only way sea angling can be improved for us is the implementation of measures such as increased minumum landing sizes and restrictions on inshore commercial fishing. This is something that we have been banging on about for years and it will be interesting to see how far the government are prepared to go with it before demanding a sea angling licence.

Enforcement of any measures implemented to improve the anglers' lot will always be the biggest problem to overcome, with both course and sea angling. Signs and the threat of prosecution are about the best we can hope for but there will always be those that will ignore them.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Cliff with respect if you are not willing to complain about the state of our fish stocks then how do you think things are ever going to get better.

Or do you think its ok to sit on the side lines while people like Steve Coppolo, Tom Pinborough and my Dad try and get things changed.

If things do change then would you pay a rod lisence? or are you content with catch just little codling and little bass, I am not haveing a dig but we can all have our heads in the sand.

Rod licence, no problem, always had my fresh water licence. Unfortunatly Sam, I get very board with the round and round . . . and round . . . . I've seen it all before mate, in a diferent life, I was young and all fired up once you know, been their, don that . . . etc. I am in total ageement with all that you young'uns are doing, but I have lost the will to fight. Now'a-days one makes the best of a bad job, and if it gets better, so be it.

Have also been taken advantage off and seen advantage taken, the circustances of which are not for discussion on this forum. So I stand back, chear you on, and will give you all a :clap2: at the end, no matter what the out come.

The one thing I can hang onto is my boat, I enjoy my boat with Hazel, this coming season is important to us. Sam, believe me there is more to life than fishing, again elaboration on the forum is not possible. perhaps I'll pm you?

Cliff :ph34r:

The figures that have been quoted on here in the past:

1,100,000 sea anglers.

A £20 license.

£3,000,000 spent on conservation measures after the rest is spent on chasing anglers to pay.

Sounds like a lot of jobs for the boys again, with Sam first in the queue!

Put 1% on sea angling VATables and you get the £3,000,000 collected for nothing.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

This is a bit chicken and egg everyone!

We all want better sea angling, but it cannot be done without affecting the commercial fleet, so presumably the only way in which to ease the burden is to introduce a sea angling licence as soon as, and pay the commercials compensation to start their angling a mile or two off shore.

What the general view here seems to be is that we should expect the government to do this before introducing a licence, and once fishing become a 'gauranteed' sport we start paying. Frankly it's never going to happen that way AND if it did, the government would almost certainly try and recoup the loss for the 'missing licence' period, by overcharging for the licences when they are introduced.

With respect the £3m licence figure seems low....Countries like Norway, the States etc make a fortune out of fishing as a tourist activity, and if you can restore the sport to how it was fifty or even twenty-five years ago, with modern travelling expenses being so low, it would certainly open up a new market. Small charter vessels would increase (although with rod/line be able to do limited damage to stocks), and

I don't know how many regular sea anglers their are, but if we said 1million anglers (inc tourists etc), at £40 a head (remember, most of us are targetting valuable fish here like Bass/Cod), thats £40m alone - couple that with the increase in tourism (and that includes everything from hotels, car rentals as well as fishing trips) then you might not be as far off that £60m figure as you think.

It'll happen - no doubt, but we will have to accept that it might take upto ten years or more before there is an amazing turn around in beach/shore fishing catch rates.

Edited by UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk

Ian W

This is a bit chicken and egg everyone!

We all want better sea angling, but it cannot be done without affecting the commercial fleet, so presumably the only way in which to ease the burden is to introduce a sea angling licence as soon as, and pay the commercials compensation to start their angling a mile or two off shore.

What the general view here seems to be is that we should expect the government to do this before introducing a licence, and once fishing become a 'gauranteed' sport we start paying. Frankly it's never going to happen that way AND if it did, the government would almost certainly try and recoup the loss for the 'missing licence' period, by overcharging for the licences when they are introduced.

With respect the £3m licence figure seems low....Countries like Norway, the States etc make a fortune out of fishing as a tourist activity, and if you can restore the sport to how it was fifty or even twenty-five years ago, with modern travelling expenses being so low, it would certainly open up a new market. Small charter vessels would increase (although with rod/line be able to do limited damage to stocks), and

I don't know how many regular sea anglers their are, but if we said 1million anglers (inc tourists etc), at £40 a head (remember, most of us are targetting valuable fish here like Bass/Cod), thats £40m alone - couple that with the increase in tourism (and that includes everything from hotels, car rentals as well as fishing trips) then you might not be as far off that £60m figure as you think.

It'll happen - no doubt, but we will have to accept that it might take upto ten years or more before there is an amazing turn around in beach/shore fishing catch rates.

RSA is already worth Billions to the economy. The government are already getting our money. If they want to take even more of it by introducing a licence, they'll have to at least show us that they are committed to improving things for us, however long it takes for the improvements to be seen.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Indeed Steve - it's just as anglers we cannot expect the government to shell out the compensation for the commercials in advance of us paying a licence.

If the government turned around and said from June 1st new legislation will stop commercials fishing within a mile but a £40 sea fishing licence will be introduced I'd have no problem with it - even though it will cost me five, ten or more years before seeing the results.

Licensing is definitely the way to go in my opinion - and again - defining a proper fishery body to manage both coarse and sea angling (taking coarse angling off the environment agency) is also an immediate need.

Ian W