Bass off a jetty...care to share any tips?

gonefishing

i've managed to score access to a jetty sitting in between 4-7m in Poole harbour in the evenings and weekends...not having a little more than a year of fishing done its a bit of a learning curve, but here's what ive sussed...

the bass like moving water, preferably outgoing and fast rather than the slower rising tide...

they dont seem fussy between either rag or crab, and dont seem to mind between long 1 down traces and 3 boomed flapper rigs...if they get near it and they're in the mood they seem to go for it...

my reckoning is that long traces will be better so they go under the floating jetty and to go when the tide is a strong outgoing...but im wondering if theres anything else i could try...so far i've had bass 2-3 lbs on each visit, but i've seen bigger ones pulled out and rumour has it there was 14lb bass pulled out last year...

question is am i barking up the right tree and should just hope for some bigguns or is there something like lures or something else that i could try...i've tried dead sandeel and squid but these just brought crabs and eels...casting seems to yeild small bass, so i think they are using the jetty for shelter...and spinners and plugs dont seem to get anything, but then that could be they arent being used right, so i've concentrated at fishing at my feet

thanks in advance

Yur going great guns mate.

I did a lot of learning to fish thru the net. I mean, getting it right before driving all the way there to drown my worms. Still continuing on with my research to keep up to date.

Big Bass nowadays are like scavengers. They are lazy compare to schoolies that have to fight among themselves for pittence. They tend to feed on easy prey like those unwanted dead fish that anglers throw back into the sea. Hint hint !

They have a pattern of coming in with the tide when these free meal gets washed out. They travel on a regular route, feeding as they go along, and go back out on almost the same route as the tide goes out.

Check the venue where all the dead fish can be as the tide start coming in. That's where you can ambushed them. And they are always closed to features eg. jetties or outflow drains.

Use a whole freshly killed small fish, eg whiting, mackerel head, pouting, or even a whole calamari squid, on large 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. 2 ft snood length is adequate, else get tangled and loose fish. 2 hrs before HT till 2 hrs after, I imagine.

Happy thrills,

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

Jetty? Poole Harbour?

I`d love to have that!! OK. Peelers and small hard backed crabs, fine. Get hold of some live sand-eels!! No. I can`t tell you where to buy them, `cos I`m an angler like yourself? But the charter boats always meet up with the odd fishing vessel that targets them? I suggest you go along to one of the angling shops on the pier? There is only one! Road leading 90% off the pier behind the blue statue? Ask him about live eels!

I take it you`ve got a mobile? Meet up with the skipper if your on a jetty?

I can`t say anymore? But you must keep the eels in fresh sea water. An aerator would be best.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!