Testing the P15 This morning

Zzippy

For the sake of science and piece of mind I've just been out to inspect the scuppers on the wreck of the Scupper Pro. The Kayak sheared just behind the seat scuppers and just in front of the tank well scuppers

Due to impact one seat scupper sheared the other is still intact. The thickness of the moulding in the sheared scupper is about 4mm, fairly consistent with the rest of the moulding. In other words it looks OK. This is borne out by the other seat scupper that is still intact despite only being 6 inches in front of the point of impact.

The tank well scuppers have both suffered damage. One is in the main area of impact and has split away from the lower hull but again it shows in cross section a healthy 4mm thickness. The other despite being in the middle of the main damaged area is still connected to the hull but it is cracked. May try to take a photo in daylight and show how they should be made.

Can only put the quality difference down to the fact that the SPTW is a tried and tested design (almost vintage). I do remember when I collected her that the guy in the shop said the hull was much stiffer than the Prowlers.

For what its worth.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Darnsarf

The two scuppers that leaked on mine were the tank wells.

The Guy in the shop said it was the same ones on the P13.

BTW.What are you going to do with your dead Yak?If you are going to ditch it could I please have a chunk of her :whistling: Its just that I have a few screw holes in my Caper to fill,and where the transducer cable went through.

I didnt want to leave the Fishfinder mount on my Caper when I go to sell it. :)

Many thanks.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Zzippy no probs. I am going to keep some myself for the same reason. I have a dremel type cutter that is ideal for dissecting the plastic (dont tell Speciman) so let me know what you want and we can sort.

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

You going to attempt a skin graft Zzippy, might be worth getting a welding rod from Bournemouth Canoes or if not try Johnson Outdoors, they sent me some last year to play around with, not sure I have a yellow one though... I'll check.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

dissecting the plastic (dont tell Speciman)

Darnsarf I enjoyed your last post in which you fleshed out the detail of the damage + theres a chance of another photo too :):)

A tough sacrifice to make, Darnsarfs Scupper Pro may become a donor yak. :D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks Darnsarf :thumbs:

Its only a little bit I am after just to patch up:)

I did ask the guy at Bournemouth Canoes Yesterday when I picked the Prowler up.But he said he never heard of Welding rods :g: .I was going to look through some sites to see if I could find some.

Starvin.Do you think a chunk of plastic would still work like a welding rod.Or is it a more supple plastic that can be melted easier?

zzippy2.gif

I was given some welding rods from Bournemouth Canoes last year, plus OK sent me one in Olive green the colour I needed. I haven't yet used them but will in due course if the deep scratch on my hull worsens. The plastic weld rod does feel more supple than the plastic of the hatch cut off I kept. You can havea section of my hatch cut off & a welding rod (in bright blue!) if you want to try it out on a spare bit first.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Zzippy,

I would go with the rod, it will be much easier to use, give Johnson's a ring.

In the meantime this may help with directions on how to use the rods and do other repairs.

http://www.oceankayak.com/repair.html

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com