Testing the P15 This morning

Zzippy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted. Great write up shame about the scupper problem. Good job that you weren't out for one of your usual marathons, it could have been serious.

Great looking Yak, performs too just hope this is a true one off. It does show poor quality control. Will be looking to check out the Scupper Pro now.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Bad luck mate, I'll be on tenterhooks again now until I've properly 'field tested' ours, rather than the weekends 'filling them with water' effort. Was this one of the old style boats, ie. not one of the New Zealand flared scupper jobs ? I was filled with confidence when the lads said the problem was'nt shared by the 15's.......but the marry up with the scuppers on the back of my boat is "horrible" even though they don't appear ( at the moment) to leak. Before getting the P13 & 15 I picked up a Perception Freedom which I was going to convert. Scupper assembly was A1, even though it was an older model & had signs of a good deal of wear, the scuppers felt as dense as the rest of the boat. Anyone who follows the advice of the lads on this site & gets their head inside the boat on a bright day will **** themselves when they see how thin the material is. I certainly wouldn't be inclined to use one of those trolleys which fits into the scupper holes on either of my boats.

Hi F&S

As Zzippys not online at the moment and you are I'll answer the question :)

From what I understand the refined 'flared' (recessed?) scuppers are exclusive to the new batches of Prowler 13s. Zzippy was told by Bournemouth Canoes his P15 was a New Zealand model & like on your kayak the matching between the top and bottom halves was really poor. I share your concerns about using a thru the scupper trolley. I use one on my Caper but if the finish on my yak was anywhere near like that of Zzippys scuppers I would not use it-- too risky.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Cheers SM.....you didn't notice if there was any silicone sealant type substance in & around the scuppers did you ? Both our boats had this, it rubs off very easily, no bond to the plastic at all....it is on all six scuppers, but the front ones ( & the middle ones) are quite sound, so can't really see why it's there, unless it's precautionary. Almost looks as if it was 'left behind' during the build....release agent from the insert during the bonding process ?....I don't know. Be interested to know. My boats, according to the ser. no.'s aren't N/Z built, both have 'fish' logo on side with A/E fittings. They may both be A1, but as someone posted earlier, given the investment, you can do without the worry.

Hi Father and son.

No there wasnt any sealent round the scuppers.But they told me to put some round them so I could use it till I got the new one.But I didnt want to do that.I would just rather Use my Caper till then.At least I know its safe.

If the scuppers dont line up on the next one they send.I will just refuse it.On my Caper they are flush with each other.How they should be.

I was told it was the New Zealand model but it had the old style scuppers.I thought the NZ models were just P13's :wallbash:

As Darnsarf said.;It was lucky we were not on one of our usuall fishing trips.I would hate to think what could have happened there :(

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

As Darnsarf said.;It was lucky we were not on one of our usuall fishing trips.I would hate to think what could have happened there :(

Zzippy

I would have had my trolling motor with me and you would have waterskied back :D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Perhaps Andrew will be reading these posts when he gets a minute, I know he'll have been busy at the NEC, it seems as if one show rolls into another & then another, with the Boating, Fishing & Outdoor shows. He was giving sound advice from Johnson Outdoors a couple of weekends ago. It's almost worse having a bad fit boat which doesn't leak, due to the worry that it will, han one which you know does, especially if it is the flexing & use that it will get on the water that is likley to start the problem off rather than during off water 'testing'. Makes sense as posted earlier. Some of the US sites were talking about 'flex' being an issue in some makes ( not P13's & 15's) but there is bound to be some in any plastic boat. The sooner the warmer weather gets here & I can get out onto some water for a proper 'test' the better.