Testing the P15 This morning

Zzippy

Got to Rockly Park(Poole Harbour)at about 9.15 this morning.The wind was blowing a good force 4 to 5 with a few white horses showing in the channel.Good day to test the Prowler 15 :)

Simon (Speciman) was there b4 me with his camera to take some shots of the trial.lol.

By the time I got the Kayak in the water the tide had turned and was flowing at about 2 - 3 knots(Big spring tide) So had wind and tide against me.I couldnt believe how the Yak just cut through the water.In my Caper it would have been very hard work to get anywhere.But the Prowler was excellent.

It did seem a bit tippy but anything would do after fishing in the Caper for a year.When I was sat in the paddling posistion I had 2 spare foot rests .Speciman sat in it and his feet reached the end of the Foot rests.

Now the bad news :schmoll:

I gave it 10 minutes or so at paddling around and decided to come ashore to see if any water was in the Hull.

On opening the hatch I could see a few drops.So I went to the back and tipped the kayak a bit.I had taken on about 1-1 and a half mugs of water.

God knows how much I would have taken on If I went out for my usual long fishing trip.

Simon took alot of pics of the trials and of the scupper holes.I am not sure what came out,Hopefully he can post them for me ;)

Anyway.I got home and did a water test on the Yak.The front 4 scupper holes were fine.But when the water reached the Back(Tankwell) Scuppers it leaked.One was just a very slow drip,but the other was fast.

I have now taken the P15 back to Bournemouth Canoes,They have ordered another one with the Uk dealer who has one left in stock.Should be here within 2 weeks.They are going to test it b4 it is sent to me.

Apperently mine is the first p15 with this problem :huh::g:

So looks like its back to the caper for a few weeks.

But all in all,I was well pleased with the handling of the P15,It all so seemed easier for some reason to lift on to my roof rack.Maybe because the handels are in a different posistion than the Caper.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the excellent write up Simon :)

It would have taken me all day to do that and post the pics too.

Yes the p15 handeld very well.I was well pleased with her.Hopefully I will have the replacment all rigged up and ready to go b4 the Plaice season starts.

I am just going to Fit the fish finder up front.The rest will be rigged from a crate.

Manny thanks m8

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi what a pity that your P15 leaked, Its just one of those things but I know when my P13 let in water I was not a happy bunny at all. Its a lot to spend in the 1st place and to have to run around sorting things out is a pain. Anyway enjoy :):) terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

There seems to be a lot of leaky scupper problem, why are they not checked at the factory after all this is a safety matter and should be checked out, and maybe with some sort of British Standard the same as others things

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Nice write up and pics guys , looked bloody cold though.

I have to agree with Yakdiver the kayaks should be tested in the factory as a matter of course . The patience of many of the guys here on the forum is being tested with these dodgy Prowlers.

Glade to see it's getting sorted. Hassle you can do with out though.

Chuggs

Hi alll, I understand that the kayaks are tested, but the method is one of using an air line and checking for leaks, THE thing is that they start to leak when weight is placed on the yat, ie when someone sits on it for the 1st time. The thin walls just split and thats that.

The only way forward is a new design which I see that the P13 as, ie stronger lining of the scuppers.

I do nowever feel that we in the UK are not getting the best deal at the moment ( when do we ) and hope that things do get better. Maybe went more companies start dealing with kayaks, its a closed market at the moment. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hiya Terry.

Yes it is a bit of a pain,but luckly I still have my Caper,Plus I live just down the road from Bournemouth Canoes.I wont be happy if my next one is like that though.

Yes Yakdiver I agree with you.They should all be checked out prior to sale.It wouldnt take to long to water test them.

Hi Chuggs.It was a bit cold out there.But I had my wet suit on underneath and was a bit warm.lol.I even wore my diving boots this time and got wet feet.But it retained the heat. lovely :)

It was good conditions to test the Prowler though.Not one wave broke over the front.If it was my Caper I was in,it would have been a wet ride.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi Zzippy I know exactly what you mean about Rockley-I fished there a few times with my Caper-that's why I sold it because I spent too long going no-where on occasions. Sorry to hear about the P15 roll on 2 weeks-maybe you'll get it at the same time as that man in the funny hat gets his Scupper Pro-how about a triple launching ceremony! :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph