North sea dropped another degree C

maidstonemike

The bbc say that The south east has been the coldest part of the country this winter with temperatures 1 degree lower than the long term average. It has officially been the coldest year in 10. Temperatures last night in Scotland were below minus 10, and if the forecast was right you southern softies are about to see some snow.

Southern softies! I don't mind the cold. use to work outside, did a few years on construction work, working in all weathers. Softies indeed <_<

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Winter

I know what you mean about softies when it comes to weather .

I just compeared the sea temps from Feb 97 and it's still got a long way to go, it's on a couloured coded map I have not managed to transfer the link onto here, Steve sent it to me, perhaps he knows how to do it.

The maps go back in monthly sequences to 1969, Feb 06 has just been added.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest @Winter@

That will be of interest.

Winter 2000(ish) I think produced a good (in relative terms) cod year class according to cefarse. How cold was it that year ?

Hello Winter

I know what you mean about softies when it comes to weather .

I just compeared the sea temps from Feb 97 and it's still got a long way to go, it's on a couloured coded map I have not managed to transfer the link onto here, Steve sent it to me, perhaps he knows how to do it.

The maps go back in monthly sequences to 1969, Feb 06 has just been added.

Hi wurzel, that site would be interesting to have a butchers at, have you the name of the site and i could do a google search to find it, if your having trouble with posting the link, cheers.........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hello Winter

Winter 2000(ish) I think produced a good (in relative terms) cod year class according to cefarse. How cold was it that year ?

Don't forget you are 200 miles north of us, you can see the differrence.

It is interesting to see the warmer gulf stream water at the top of Scotland, I wish the charts went back to the 30's.

Facinating Link, it seems after a brief look that 79 was the coldest in the records (for Feb) and then 91. It would be great to find if anyone has detailed fishing diaries going back to the 70's to correlate the temps against the following years cod catches.

Hello ZZippy

Facinating Link, it seems after a brief look that 79 was the coldest in the records (for Feb) and then 91. It would be great to find if anyone has detailed fishing diaries going back to the 70's to correlate the temps against the following years cod catches.

I ve been doing just that .

It confirms what we know, that every thing is regulated by tempreature.

the milder years coincide with better sole and bass, also whether they turn up early or late, better spawning years, Cod with the colder years,

it matches my diarys perfectly .

Guest @Winter@

Isnt the north sea colder off the brittish coast in winter the further south you get ?

If my memory serves me correctly the 2000 (cant rem if it was 2000 or 2001)year class of cod did not come from a cold winter but was still a lot bigger than other years of the same sea temps. the cold winter and larger cod numbers for this year should show negative correlation and not match up perfectly with my diary.

It condernes me that the whole north sea stock now is so small that there wouldnt be enough left to breed itself out of trouble, so a cold winter wouldnt signal a recovery.