Screw tip end rod ring

Steve_MK

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to convert one of my quiver tip rods to a swing tip, can anyone tell me where I can buy the appropriate end ring with the screw in section please?

Steve_MK

A born Again Fisherman

What sort of rod do you intend to convert Steve? I can't see a built-in, or push-in quiver tip rod being suitable, without a lot of work or a spare top section. I made one out of an old float rod, with cut down tip and butt.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Steve

I cut the fat end of an old quiver tip, conneted the two pieces with a piece of silicone and presto, a swing tip was made for my push in tip rod.

It works very well, just make sure that the silicone rubber is a very tight fit.

All the best.

Roland

WVDAA

What sort of rod do you intend to convert Steve? I can't see a built-in, or push-in quiver tip rod being suitable, without a lot of work or a spare top section. I made one out of an old float rod, with cut down tip and butt.

I have an Avon style rod that these days has a screw type end fitting, was hoping to just change the ring. Alternatively I have a lovely old 11ft split cane rod, I thought I might convert that instead.

Edited by Steve_MK

I have an Avon style rod that these days has a screw type end fitting, was hoping to just change the ring. Alternatively I have a lovely old 11ft split cane rod, I thought I might convert that instead.

I didn't use a screw-in end ring, I just whipped a short piece of old solid fibreglass rod tip to the end of the rod, leaving about an inch sticking out, by using silicone tubing, I made several different swing tips, ie length and weight, to cover different conditions. Just pick one to suit the water and weather, slide it on and thats it.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I didn't use a screw-in end ring, I just whipped a short piece of old solid fibreglass rod tip to the end of the rod, leaving about an inch sticking out, by using silicone tubing, I made several different swing tips, ie length and weight, to cover different conditions. Just pick one to suit the water and weather, slide it on and thats it.

I s'pose the cut off end of a pole (from the elastication) would work in a similar manner

When I was doing a lot of tackle building/repairs I was often contacted by people who had either push in or push over type quiver rods.They would normally want a spare tip section made up for either swing tipping or just with a standard eye for touch ledgering.Most were easily acieved by getting a spare tip (quiver) that was available for the rod and using the rubber method on it once it was cut down slightly.Alternatively I could cut the tip back and attach a threaded end ring. A real easy job.And if you keep plenty of old broken bits of carbon around as I do you can often do it without wasting a spare tip.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When I was doing a lot of tackle building/repairs I was often contacted by people who had either push in or push over type quiver rods.They would normally want a spare tip section made up for either swing tipping or just with a standard eye for touch ledgering.Most were easily acieved by getting a spare tip (quiver) that was available for the rod and using the rubber method on it once it was cut down slightly.Alternatively I could cut the tip back and attach a threaded end ring. A real easy job.And if you keep plenty of old broken bits of carbon around as I do you can often do it without wasting a spare tip.

Sounds good to me BUDGIE, bit I'd still make some different swing-tips. I've made them out of, Fibreglass, aluminium welding rod, carbon and even cane, each one has a different use.

I haven't used a swing-tip for a while now, but in the right conditions, I think they're unbeatable.

Me to mate.i have often sung their praises over quiver tips for stillwater bream.I have used them made out of lots of different materiels but I have for some time now just used sarkandas cane of varying lengths with varying weights inserted in the tip (normally lengths of brass rod.)I also stick to the old "valve rubber" method of attaching despite once again having tried many different materials for the "hinge".

Also out of interest a traditional swing tip rod normaly had a much softer through action than todays quiver tip/feeder rods.No doubt because they were mainly intended for bream.They also tended to be 9 or 10'.Used correctly with a target board (these not only showed up small knocks but more importantly stabalised the tip and sheilded it from the wind) they IMO beat the tip hands down when match fishing for bream.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Must admit, I've got a soft spot for swingtips too. Haven't used one for years, mind, but it was what I used when I first started legering. I bought a "matchpicker" style 9' / 6' quivertip rod (which I still own) and more or less stopped using the swingtip then. I still used a target board with the quivertip, though.

My JW Avon has a threaded tip ring. I wonder whether you can still buy swingtips, I haven't seen one in a shop for ages. Might have a go this Summer.

Edited by Steve Walker